Truing for BC - experience with accuracy of Barnes stated BC

med358-boise

Was just curious what other experiences might be, I am reasonably confident in the velocity of 2698 fps and the measured drops and the calculations are running a difference of 20% lower between stated and calculated BC.

It is possible, I was screwing things up but just curious of others experiences.

So it's been my experience that when using a box velocity of store bought ammo you will need to get a velocity out of you own rifle. My 7mm-08 runs 20 fps slower than what's on the box generally. So I record my velocity's and I also check my rifle at distance usually I try for 800 to 1000 yards and then I see how the loads are flying to that distance and I may need to adjust velocity a little or true the velocity a little. But I try and get multiple shot over multiple outings so I know where my bullet will land. I do reload a lot and shoot a lot. I'm always tinkering with my loads and bullet combos. Sometimes a little too much. But short answer is you need to shoot you box ammo and get the velocity from your gun. I try not to adjust BC that much unless something just is not working out in my drop data. I shoot for about 1/4 minute of error inside 800yrds. With all the other factors 1/4 minute of error is hard to hold. In a perfect world we would use lasers and not have to worry about drop and wind.😂😂😂😂

I am not shooting factory ammo and am using a chronorgraph, not sure what in my post would have implied that. I am shooting handloads and chronographing with a Labradar; hence, the comment "I am reasonably confident in the velocity of 2698 fps."

I have validated drops on 4 or 5 different rifles. I normally don't worry about a difference in drop of 1-2 inches inside of 500 yards from expected. In this case, I was 4 1/2 low from expected at 400 yards and when I derived a BC from the actual drops, the calculated BC was over 20% below the stated BC.

Last edited:
didn't state you weren't either, only about bc.

bc is measured at their altitude and atmospheric conditions (most likely) as that will change bc.

Some Bullet Factories "Fudge" the BC Numbers, More than, others.
Sierra and Berger Bullets, ARE usually,.. "Close" to,.. "Spot On".
Hornady's New,. ELD-M's and ELD- X's, are also,.. very "Close" !
I won't Name,.. Who'se,. AREN'T !
Seeing 10-20 Percent difference in BC's can easily be SEEN, with some Bullets !

Last edited:
Some Bullet Factories "Fudge" the BC Numbers, More than, others.
Sierra and Berger Bullets, ARE usually,.. "Close" to,.. "Spot On".
Hornady's New,. ELD-M's and ELD- X's, are also,.. very "Close" !
I won't Name,.. Who'se,. AREN'T !
Seeing 10-20 Percent difference in BC's can easily be SEEN, with some Bullets !
i will! NOSLER!

Are you certain its not in your turret. I have a scope that is spot on for drops at 1,2, & 300 yards, 1/2 MOA high at 400 yards and then back on till I hit that same spot on the next revolution.

I may have this reversed, but generally speaking, if drop error is consistent (say 1 moa) adjust BC (especially inside 500 yards). If drop error increases with distance, adjust MV. Someone correct this if I am wrong.