Trouble for shooting along power lines?

engineer40

Here in west Michigan we have plenty of state land. Maybe not as much as the states out west, but we have a lot.

I have off road'ed trucks and ATV's along power lines in the middle of no where for years.

I can think of this one spot that I bet I can see over a mile from the top of one hill to the next large hill. I don't have a range finder capable of that kind of distance. A few friends guessed well over 1 mile, and maybe over 1.5 miles. Using Google earth, a very rough estimate has it about 1.5 miles.

Have any of you guys ever got in trouble for shooting along cleared power lines? Or have opinions on this?

This is way out in the middle of nowhere. I couldn't see anyone hearing us shooting there and reporting us.

You state "I have off road'ed trucks and ATV's along power lines in the middle of no where for years." So in this time have you seen anyone else doing the same? Point being you have to ensure what your backstop is as potentially someone could be approaching your powerline setup beyond your visual range on the other side of the hill. Its to late to recall a shot once it's sent downrange.

My cousin took me to some powerlines to shoot onetime. I deemed it unsafe for many reasons, and we left and went to the 100 yard range in the Forest. I know it's not as exciting but a lot safer and no accidents to explain. We are responsible for fallout. Since then I've had him to 600 yard f/class and he belongs to Tallahassee Gun Range where they shoot 300 reduced f/class which is a hoot. It is way better to be safe then sorry.

Seeing anyone out there is very rare or I wouldn't have even considered it in the first place.

I could position the targets in a way where I would see people coming. Although you are right, I would still be worried about ricochets if someone else was coming over the hill from the other side. I would be shooting into a big hill, although I understand that ricochets are still possible unless the hill is mostly perpendicular.

I've seen YT videos of guys shooting along power lines, train tracks, and even along flat dirt roads which I thought was not the brightest idea. Usually YouTuber's are quick to point out if someone is doing something stupid in a video. But the comments lacked any negative responses to people shooting in those locations. I started to think maybe it's a common thing that I just haven't been doing...

I'm with you guys. I think I've decided against it. Thanks. I appreciate the opinions.

You could always make up a sign and flag off the opposing hillside to warn anyone coming from that direction that you are shooting. I shoot down a long sendero on a private place but still put up signs at other gate coming in to prevent anyone from driving down range.
You can also make up loose dirt piles behind target to absorb projectiles. A stack of 20 sandbags would probably even work.

Yeah I have thought about putting my 10ft orange flag on my ATV that I use up in the sand dunes and parking it right in the middle of the trail near the top of the opposite side of the hill; along with a warning sign.

:)

Legally it's considered trespassing if the energy company finds out and wants to pursue. Chances are in the middle of nowhere, no one would really notice or have much of a problem. I'm on west side as well and have been doing it since I moved here from IA 3 years ago. You guys have to much cover here to shoot distance any other way. I have cones and warning signs I put up....

Every time we fire a shot when we are hunting, there is SOME risk! I would rather shoot in a power line with good visibility than many other places that are less controlled. I do not see it as much different than shooting across canyons here in the west given the conditions that you describe. I think it comes down to common sense and being sure of your target no matter where you shoot. I hunted a RR track in Mi. for many years and killed numerous white tails from that seat. If anything, or anyone, was on the track, it was easy to see.....Rich

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.