Tripod with binos

If you aren't concerned about field judging animals a spotter likely isn't necessary. If you are a trophy hunter where field judging is important...read on!

I often hunt relatively open country. One common way to hunt is to sit on one side of a canyon and glass directly across to the other side of a canyon. I'll first glass an entire canyon face with binos to cover it fairly quickly. If I spot an animal I'll size it up with my spotter. If I don't spot any game I'll still grab my spotting scope on tripod and glass the canyon where game tends to feed, bed, etc. I'll spend time glassing in detail the better areas that generally hold game with both binos and spotter. More times than not I'll spot a tine, antler, rump patch, ear with my spotting scope that I miss with binos. I'm not sure how many times I've run binos over country....then switched to spotting scope and found game! A spotter has saved me miles and miles of hiking trying to get closer to field judge animals with smaller power optics.

There are several problems I see with 15x. They are bigger, bulkier, and heavier than 10x binos. I definitely don't want to carry both 15x binos plus a spotting scope plus tripod. 15x are impossible to hand-hold without a tripod. There is no way to still hunt and glass with 15x. 15x are too small of power to field judge animals compared to a spotting scope. You would need 2 tripods....one for 15x binos and a 2nd tripod for a spotting scope unless you are willing to switch back and forth with 1 tripod. You will have to stalk a lot closer to game to field judge them if all you have is 15x binos and no spotter. You may miss animals with 15x that a spotting scope with higher power will pick up.

With that said, my preference is an 8 or 10x binos for spotting game and a spotter for sizing them up and locating game at long distance. The advantages to 15x have been mentioned in other posts above. I guess it's up to you which route works for your particular style of hunting and the country and animals you hunt. Again, if size doesn't matter a spotter may not be needed.

I only put the binos on the tripod if I'm scanning and area. Usually up high and have closer to 365 degree of area to cover, which can get overwhelming to look into every shadow, grass, timberline and rock etc. so I scan going right to left and break up my area into 1/4 sectors before packing up and moving to another glassing point.

I do as jimiss says And have had 10x42 els since they first came out ,had the 42's first.And I find more game with my not very heavy 15 x vortex on tripod then I did in past.I trophy hunt,then go to spotter or my 25x rifle scope to see if im going to go after.If it is past noon in alot of drainages I hunt you will not make it for a shot that day,so its a next day find them deal.

If you have never tried binos on a tripod you don't know what you are missing. You can spend double or triple the time glassing in a given session because your eyes aren't tired from the binos shaking, and your arms don't get tired from holding up the binos. And when you do pull your face away from the binos they stay right where you left off, so you aren't searching for that one tree by the rock...Also if you do spot game you can switch with your hunting partner without trying to talk him into a specific spot. Only drawback to me is the take a minute to set up. I run my binos in a chest pack then unbuckle them and put them on the tripod for extended sessions. It has been so effective for me I have even started to scout for ducks with a tripod. I'm running an older pair of Leupold gold ring HD's on a vanguard VEO2 carbon fiber. Not the most expensive setup but effective and relatively lite.

Last edited:
In my opinion, a spotter is only useful than bino's on a tripod for 2 situations. Spotting game over 1.5 miles and judging animals (score only, I can tell you if it's a big bull or big buck without caring about 10-15"). Inside of that range I'll find more animals with my Swarovski 15x56 SLC HD's! I'll find those animals quicker and with less eye fatigue as well.

Just my opinion however.

Good luck!
Steve
Well to each his own, Its our time to do with as we like.
That said, I am familiar with the very set of glasses you have, as well as others in that size range.
You or no one else, can get full benefit from those for glassing, unless they are sitting on a tripod.
As for walking while hunting, and using glasses for short periods as you go, is to compare apples and oranges. The OP is talking about "long" glassing sessions, and for that type glassing, wether for Sheep or Whitetails, he will be much better off using a tripod.

yobuck

Which is exactly as I stated! I use Swarovski 8x33 EL for quick checks and the stalk, and the Swarovski 15x56 on a carbon tripod with Benro S2 head.

Not sure why you are directing that I didn't answer his question or implied anything different than you are unless you didn't read my posts.

Steve

JMack,

I don't know if my two cents will help, but over the last year and a half I have completely re-thought my gear and how it could be used to best fit my needs. I wanted a more modular system, so that I could adapt to different game, country, etc.

I sold my 10 X 42 Els, and both of my range finders, and purchased a pair of 10 X 42 EL Range binos. I had Outdoorsmans install their bino stud on the 42's and my 56's. If I'm hunting close to the truck, in areas where you need to glass a long way, etc. I use the 56's. If I'm hunting the mountains where I'm going to be doing a lot of walking/ climbing, I only take the 42's. The bino stud and the bino adapter only weigh a couple of ounces, and they are there when/ if I need them. I consider it cheap insurance.

Also, I sold my Swaro STS 65, and bought their newer modular ATX eyepiece, with a 65 mm and a 95 mm lens. My intention was to use them in the same manner as the binos. In areas where I can get away with heavier optics I use the 95mm lens. If I were hunting in an area where weight savings is crucial, I would bring the 65mm lens.

I installed Outdoorsmans Quick Release Adapter on all of my tripods, so that I can switch heads very easily/ quickly. I have several medium to heavy weight tripods that I use to glass longer distances. I use them when weight isn't critical. For mountain hunts, I use a light weight carbon fiber tripod from Field Optics Research, with an Outdoorsmans Micro Pan Head. If wind becomes a factor, you can place some gravel in a sack, piece of cloth, or what ever you have available to add some weight to your tripod.

I guess the point I'm trying to make is that when you are hunting, situations are constantly changing, and it benefits you to be as flexible as possible. Long story long, I would highly recommend that you set up your binoculars for use with a tripod. If you need it, you have it. If you don't need it, the weight is so minimal that it won't matter.

Enjoy your sheep hunt,
Dennis

JMack,

I don't know if my two cents will help, but over the last year and a half I have completely re-thought my gear and how it could be used to best fit my needs. I wanted a more modular system, so that I could adapt to different game, country, etc.

I sold my 10 X 42 Els, and both of my range finders, and purchased a pair of 10 X 42 EL Range binos. I had Outdoorsmans install their bino stud on the 42's and my 56's. If I'm hunting close to the truck, in areas where you need to glass a long way, etc. I use the 56's. If I'm hunting the mountains where I'm going to be doing a lot of walking/ climbing, I only take the 42's. The bino stud and the bino adapter only weigh a couple of ounces, and they are there when/ if I need them. I consider it cheap insurance.

Also, I sold my Swaro STS 65, and bought their newer modular ATX eyepiece, with a 65 mm and a 95 mm lens. My intention was to use them in the same manner as the binos. In areas where I can get away with heavier optics I use the 95mm lens. If I were hunting in an area where weight savings is crucial, I would bring the 65mm lens.

I installed Outdoorsmans Quick Release Adapter on all of my tripods, so that I can switch heads very easily/ quickly. I have several medium to heavy weight tripods that I use to glass longer distances. I use them when weight isn't critical. For mountain hunts, I use a light weight carbon fiber tripod from Field Optics Research, with an Outdoorsmans Micro Pan Head. If wind becomes a factor, you can place some gravel in a sack, piece of cloth, or what ever you have available to add some weight to your tripod.

I guess the point I'm trying to make is that when you are hunting, situations are constantly changing, and it benefits you to be as flexible as possible. Long story long, I would highly recommend that you set up your binoculars for use with a tripod. If you need it, you have it. If you don't need it, the weight is so minimal that it won't matter.

Enjoy your sheep hunt,
Dennis
Thanks for the strategic information I appreciate everyone's time on this topic

Funny that I just saw this thread. I just got back from audad hunt in Texas. This was the first time I used a tripod for glassing. What an amazing difference it was. I was able to spot animals and get such a good look compared to what I was without. I will never go without it again.
I just replaced my lieca geovids with the new hdb 3000. When ordering I ordered the lieca bio mount. I never ended up using it though as it was easier to clip them in my hog saddle and have full motion and view. I was easily able to remove them and slide the rifle into the saddle for shooting. Worked fantastic.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.