Tripod with binos

JMack

How many of you use tripods with your binos for longer glassing periods?

Thinking of getting my 10x42 swaro ELs set up for use with my granite peak lightweight tripod.

Always. 100% of the time when actually glassing seriously anything 400 yards to 2+ miles. If just checking out a hillside quickly, maybe not.

I have a spotting scope I usually pack so I'll have the tripod. Binos are on my chest. Long story short, for me if I'm static for awhile I can whip out the ol tripod and take a gander. However moving around fr ridge to ridge binos are easier from the chest.

I have an adapter for my 10x42s and used it on my tripod for awhile. I then tried them on a Slik cf monopod. I really now prefer the monopod + it's very light weight and easily adjustable for whatever position I'm in. It gives me a comfortable and steady glassing platform, whether scanning or picking apart dense cover.

I have it set up with a quick release plate, so I can go from binos to range finder on the monopod. This also leaves my tripod free to use with spotter or camera.

I wear Swarovski 8x32 EL's on a harness for quick scanning and close range. I mount my Swarovski 15x56 SLC HD's on a Slik 624 with an Outdoorsman Tripp's adaptor and it is awesome!!

How many of you use tripods with your binos for longer glassing periods?

Thinking of getting my 10x42 swaro ELs set up for use with my granite peak lightweight tripod.
I have tried using my 12x50s on a tripod, thinking it would be easy since I always have the tripod and spotter with me anyway. I didn't love it. I have started using a primos trigger stick as a walking stick and found that i love using that as a rest for glassing with my binos. If I see something I like I switch to the spotter and the tripod.

Interesting replies. I'm a big fan of trekking poles, the collapsible kind, and in the past have used one for a rest. I may just continue that route since I'll have them on an upcoming hunt. I've also used my bogpod which I did like but I'm not planning on carrying it on a sheep hunt.

Thanks for all the replies

I firmly believe that you'll see at least 4x the animals with great glass and a tripod than you will with just great glass.

No way you can see tines of a buck sticking out of the grass or even a buck bedded in the shade of a rock cliff at say a mile without great glass and a tripod.

Maybe elk on a hillside or moving through a canyon.

I guess it depends what you are glassing for. Mule deer and coues deer...I'd rather forget my weapon.

Just my opinion.

Steve

What bino harnesses are you running that allow you to detatch and hook up to tripod without removing the harness from your body?

I use a neoprene camera strap with buckles. Lists of options, small carabeeners, fastex buckles, make something.

On a recent aoudad hunt in New Mexico with heavy glassing, I used Swarovski 10x42mm EL Range binos with a harness during the stalk, but for the long hours of glassing I used my 15x56mm with the Swarovski lightweight (but solid) tripod topped with the Swaro UTA - Universal Binocular Adapter, which also fits the 10x42mm binos (for closer range). I then could quickly swap out my Swaro spotting scope (which stayed in my pack) when we found animals to check them out. Light is good, but light and solid is better for long hours.

Lightweight tripods in wind are worthless. Many people waste money on high end optics when a stable platform could make the difference.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.