Trigger Sticks vs Tripod

nksmfamjp

Have you used something like Trigger Sticks or Steady Stix? How is your stability at range vs a tripod? Is the speed worth the stability sacrifice.

I have carried a ~6lb tripod for a couple years, but am considering these or a lighter tripod setup. Tripods are just slow to deploy hunting.

I'd hate to carry both. Too much!

Tripod is going to be more stable than anything with two legs, of course. I use a tripod if I'm going to be sitting, such as hunting coyotes, or short hike-type big game hunting. If I'm walking, I have a Trigger stick bipod that has worked very well for me...in the past 10 years of hunting here in SD I have taken my shots about 50/50 either from my Trigger Stick or a handy nearby fence post at ranges from 25 to 250 yards (although I always have my TS with me). Not exactly "long range hunting", but more about having the right circumstances to be able to get close. At those yardages, I've been very comfortable off the sticks and they're super quick to deploy...further than that, and I'd probably try to find a more stable shooting position. On a backpack elk hunt last fall, I couldn't justify the weight of the TS, so I added a Quick-StiX adapter to my walking sticks and while not quite as versatile as a TS, it certainly would be better than attempting an offhand shot. I guess the short answer would be that everything is a trade-off as far as weight, portability and steadiness go.

Yea, if I look historically, 60% of my shots are under 100, another 35% under 350……, but I'd like to work on my 500yd max capability. I wonder if trigger sticker bipod can get me to 400ish or if I should be buying a tripod which is a bit lighter and carrying it as a walking stick ….hmm.

It really depends;

Shooting sticks can be really solid if combined with a rear rest of some kind.

I like to shoot from sitting with sticks out front and my pack under the rear of the rifle. It makes a fairly stable base and gets me above grass and vegetation when prone is not possible.

Think about a good pair of hiking poles and an adapter to turn them into shooting sticks.

Quick Stix for example;

Work on improvising a rear rest. Honestly I like a tripod as a rear rest too with a branch or a log out front.

For me what's out front doesn't matter much so long as it's solid, I have found it's the rear support that is most important for me to feel confident at long range.

I will say, if Primos made a carbon version of the bipod or tripod trigger stick, I'd probably buy it. My tripod is a BOG Deathgrip (aluminum) and is too heavy to carry on a long hike. However, I don't feel like the carbon version of the Deathpod is light enough to justify the price for my application.

I don't feel like there would be a huge weight savings to make the TS in carbon, but since it goes with me on pretty much every hunt anyhow, any weight savings would be beneficial. If your budget allows, I'm sure there are quite a number of super lightweight tripod options that would work as a shooting platform, I just don't know if they would be usable as a walking stick like the TS. I'm no expert though--good luck in finding what you're looking for!

I used a homemade set of shooting sticks for years until I lost them 😢. I added on a small fiberglass rod I slid into a spring. This was screwed onto one of the legs which I should mention were wood. I could go from bipod to tripod in seconds. Man do I miss them. They weighed 1-3/4 pounds. I think my inspiration came from Varmit Al.
I'd think short trigger sticks could work very well for you.