Tried calling coyotes after dark.

Anyone use a thermal scope at night? I'm overrun in yotes and cougars, and the county ran out of money for the trapper. I'm wondering the best thermal to keep them in check.

You won't go wrong with the REAP-IR. There is no doubt thermal is the way to go. If money isn't an issue buy the Reap at around 7g and never look back, you will love it. If that is a little stiff Pulsar at around 4g makes some really nice units. You can rent several different units at Ultimate Night Vision. Use them decide which one you like and then your set.

Thank you 4061, I checked around and you're right that REAP IR appears the best, but $7999 is the best price I could find. I wonder if there'll be a Black Friday sale somewhere? What's your second best choice? The Pulsor APEX XD50a 2-8x looks interesting at $2095...what's your opinion? Also, the REAP IR has a real appetite for batteries. Wonder if can adapt a rechargeable power pack. Light weight on a unit is good, as I'm 74. Thinking about putting it on a 6.5cm in AR for quick follow up shots. The cats and dogs are eating the crap out of our deer, calf elk, and antelope pops, and the only thing keeping the wolves out of the picture are the locals. F&G is no help whatsoever. They've been infiltrated by environs, who think predation is part of nature. Well, I'm part of nature too.

To the op,
If you have a timid coyote, howling at them at close range will scare the hell out of them and they'll hightail it out of there. Those high pitches loud howls that sound great are alpha dogs and unless you are challenging another alpha, will send all the lesser dogs running. Try to induce a lower pitched howl mimicking a younger dog, inviting others in. What I've done in the evening is get on a large hill on a calm evening with good vantage and howl, get all the packs howling, long range opportunity!

Optics Planet nearly always has a 10% off sale. Sign up for e mail alerts. Can't speak about the Pulsor. I can tell you after trying several units I would take out a loan if I had to to buy a REAP.

Optics Planet nearly always has a 10% off sale. Sign up for e mail alerts. Can't speak about the Pulsor. I can tell you after trying several units I would take out a loan if I had to to buy a REAP.
Thanks for replying. I'm hoping for a Black Friday special. Curious what other units you tried, what model Reap ir, and what makes it so good? It's hard to tell from looking at video, and reading reviews. Also, isn't the Reap a battery eater? What is your solution to that? Also, what do you hunt with it - how much do you use it? I know, a lot of questions, but I'm leaning heavily on your opinion. I'm 74, so don't have a long time to use it, but some quality night hunts might make it worth it. Thanks. Herb

I heard the coyotes howling saturday evening after dark. I had just taken a five gallon bucket of deer guts and dumped it in the field couple hundred yards from the house. I went inside and got my caller and gun and tried calling. I think one showed up but I accidently pushed the coyote howl button and the eyes disappeared. I was playing cottontail and jackrabbit distress calls. The wind was favorable so I don't think it was that. I stayed out for 40 min. But I think I scared em off when I accidently howled at them. :(:( Any ideas or suggestions are welcome
You could try just being quiet. with the deer guts out there the coyote's nose should guide him in. Then all you need is some light on him so you can see him in your scope.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.