Today from 350 yards to 850 yards

jkupper

Well, our rifle deer season starts in a couple of weeks, so I took the 7 RM out to do some plinking and check my drops now that the temperature has gone down. I checked my 200 yard zero after firing a couple of fouling rounds, and proceded to shoot a 9"x12" steel plate at distances from 350 yards out to 850 yards. I was pretty pleased with the results, even though at 700 yards I had to add a little elevation on my turret. I missed the first shot at that distance, and had to shoot a second shot to get on target. All other distances I connected on the first shot :D

I had a 15 mile an hour wind quartering toward me that was tricky. My windage holds on the Huskemaw were anywhere between 1/2 and 2/3 full value for a 10 mile per hour crosswind. I guess I handled it okay looking at the target, but it kept me guessing, continuously checking my wind gauge, and dropping sand to get a good gauge on the angle the wind was blowing from. In hind sight I should have used my wider targets, but the narrow one really kept me dialed in and focused. It was a fun morning, and I just thought I would share.

November 16th will find me in the field trying to fill 4 doe tags. I'm pretty confident after this morning gun)

Joe

Attachments

• IMG_20131102_114231_884.jpg
    IMG_20131102_114231_884.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 80
Very good shooting! What bullet you using?

Thanks guys!

I'm shooting 168 grain Berger hunting VLD's over 65.5 grains of H1000. Using Winchester brass and WLRM primers.

The gun is a Remington 700 SPS, completely stock except for an ASI Maxi Brake. Scope is a 5-20 Huskemaw Blue Diamond.

I've shot it out to 1000 yards with good results. Today there was a strong mirage, and I couldn't get my range finder to read anything past 858 yards.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.