To brake or not to brake

I quit reading because so many opinions stated as facts. What works for one may not work for another. To answer the original question, brakes are not designed to improve accuracy from a mechanical point of view. The bullet is already gone by the time it would have any chance to impart something on the bullet, if installed properly. The primary mechanical purpose of a brake is to improve recoil recovery allowing for more rapid follow up shots because you are able to get back on target more rapidly. The bullet never touches the brake, again if installed properly. Placed in a vacuum, as one stated earlier, recoil would be straight back. Remember, every action has an equal and opposite reaction. It is other forces on the rifle that cause the recoil to move it in other directions. Brakes are designed to assist in compensating the shooter to counter those forces. One needs to decide the practical benefit based on the type of shooting that is being done.

I put brakes on everything. Easier to shoot. Don't forget your ear plugs :)
Also, don't get a radial brake. They throw dust everywhere obviously.
Was doing some load development on my 300SAUM Wednesday from a walled booth. WITH A break. Did not notice my right plug had slipped out. Pretty sure something is very wrong. Hear the tinkle tinkle of broken glass now. I love breaks but they probably cause more issues than they solve on anything but large stuff.

I quit reading because so many opinions stated as facts. What works for one may not work for another. To answer the original question, brakes are not designed to improve accuracy from a mechanical point of view. The bullet is already gone by the time it would have any chance to impart something on the bullet, if installed properly. The primary mechanical purpose of a brake is to improve recoil recovery allowing for more rapid follow up shots because you are able to get back on target more rapidly. The bullet never touches the brake, again if installed properly. Placed in a vacuum, as one stated earlier, recoil would be straight back. Remember, every action has an equal and opposite reaction. It is other forces on the rifle that cause the recoil to move it in other directions. Brakes are designed to assist in compensating the shooter to counter those forces. One needs to decide the practical benefit based on the type of shooting that is being done.
I think I would agree with that. It seems like the projectile mostly remains ahead of the propellant (expanding gases) and should have left the muzzle before the brake acts on the forces of the gas.

The point of PRS is shooting from compromised positions. You can't always get into the positions that help you manage the recoil of a hunting rifle in a field situation either. So especially for a less experienced shooter, such as the OP comes across as, why would someone advocate against something that you have admitted would help him? If you personally can manage recoil to that level, good for you. If true that puts you in the most minute fraction of shooters. Not everyone is there. As for techniques preached by Phillip, he's a good guy, and gives great advice. He also competes with a muzzle brake, like every other top competitor. Anything that aids in recoil management is to your benefit. I don't get why you argue against that. My statement about talking down to shooters wanting a muzzle brake wasn't actually aimed at you. That was towards all the guys doing that. You don't have to read many threads around here to see that. As for you getting more practice than all the other professional shooters on this page, I don't think there are very many professional shooters here, but there are a few. I'm no professional shooter, I'm a diesel mechanic. But I shoot enough and at a level that I know quite a few of them. I've shot against Phillip, and I've shot against a lot of the greats. I'm proud to consider many of them as friends and been sponsored by their companies in the PRS and NRL circuits. Next time I see Jake Vibbert I'll let him know for you that his form is terrible, lol.

I appreciate you reading into my comment that I am a high level athlete :) Thats flattering. Also, your comments seem to make more sense now - you got the little man syndrome thing going on apparently. Use a brake if you want or need to, its a bandaid for poor technique, especially with smaller calibers. To each their own.
We have to work on your mental conditioning,buddy. Do you really think anyone would post they are 5'2" 120 and a pickle ball high level athlete? Goodness....

We have to work on your mental conditioning,buddy. Do you really think anyone would post they are 5'2" 120 and a pickle ball high level athlete? Goodness....
Idk - people post crazy things on here all the time - like a brake makes a rifle more accurate. Its almost as bad as facebook and fake news. Guys voice an opinion and state it like a fact. They post a few sub par videos on youtube and now their word is gospel. Hard to know who and what to believe, you know? You've tapped out like 3 times on this thread and keep coming back - I guess in my mind 5'2" 120 competitive pickle ball player fit in line with how I pictured you ;)

The point of PRS is shooting from compromised positions. You can't always get into the positions that help you manage the recoil of a hunting rifle in a field situation either. So especially for a less experienced shooter, such as the OP comes across as, why would someone advocate against something that you have admitted would help him? If you personally can manage recoil to that level, good for you. If true that puts you in the most minute fraction of shooters. Not everyone is there. As for techniques preached by Phillip, he's a good guy, and gives great advice. He also competes with a muzzle brake, like every other top competitor. Anything that aids in recoil management is to your benefit. I don't get why you argue against that. My statement about talking down to shooters wanting a muzzle brake wasn't actually aimed at you. That was towards all the guys doing that. You don't have to read many threads around here to see that. As for you getting more practice than all the other professional shooters on this page, I don't think there are very many professional shooters here, but there are a few. I'm no professional shooter, I'm a diesel mechanic. But I shoot enough and at a level that I know quite a few of them. I've shot against Phillip, and I've shot against a lot of the greats. I'm proud to consider many of them as friends and been sponsored by their companies in the PRS and NRL circuits. Next time I see Jake Vibbert I'll let him know for you that his form is terrible, lol.
Look man, maybe I haven't been clear. I know that brakes help a lot of shooters stay on target - I 100% agree with that statement. My point was that brakes do not aid the rifle system - just the shooter. So again, it's all about what you're into.

I absolutely would advocate not using a brake on a light recoiling cartridge to a new shooter so that they can practice and better develop their skill set. For a new shooter, brakes can also help to develop a flinch just as easily as recoil can so it could be counter productive on a light recoiling rifle. Sure if the OP looking to compete, buy a break, and downgrade from the 6.5 to 6mm variant, and add at least 10 pounds to your set-up, etc.

Also, I was't saying that I practice more than the top level of competitors - I was saying it probably took me much more practice than most to get to a point of proficiency....ya know, a little self deprecating.

Anywhoose, the OP made his choice and I wish him luck. Now I'm off to find that magical "unwatch button".

Guys, guys... c'mon.
A brake is mostly beneficial if you shoot many rounds repeatedly if the recoil is going to get to you. You can shoot a 460 weatherby one time in the field and you won't even notice the recoil, pain wise, and if you do it will be too late to matter. And all 460's have brakes so that was a bad analogy.
I had a great experience with my first brake and I put brakes on all my varmint rifles that I shoot from a bench, because you really need to see your shots when prairie dogging, not only for the fun but to see your misses so you can correct. For a while I only had brakes on my 2- 243 bench guns, and my swift. I left my 204 alone. My 204 became my hardest kicking gun. When you shoot off a bench, 200 rounds, you want to have a relaxed grip and then even a fairly heavy 204 will kick enough to throw the sight picture off. So, I put a brake on the 204 and it is amazing.
This is something to consider....If yu use a front pedestal rest or bipod your gun will kuick much more than if you are yusing something like a tackdriver bag. The tack driver bag squeezes around your forearm and is like adding 5# to the gun weight. It is a huge difference in felt recoil and jump.
I have a sporter 243 for coyotes and I did not put a brake on it. I only take a few shots per trip so it is no big deal and we do hunt from a truck at night so i don't ewannt to kill my partner's ears, same with my sporter .223. So, I say if you have a gun you want to shoot a lot of strings of fire with I would definitely add a brake. I also do not like radial brakes because they throw dirt, but they look cool, but they don't work as well as side port comps (in general). It's not a matter of being a "tough guy" and handling recoil, its a matter of reducing your flinching and being able to shoot with a relaxed and consistent hold and being able to see your shots, that's what it is all about.!!

Tangent, I think you and I really agree on some things then. I completely agree that muzzle brakes are an aid to the shooter, not the mechanical accuracy of the rifle. The advantage of a muzzle brake is in the second shot fired and after that. It won't make any difference at all on the first shot. You also bring up a great point in the muzzle brake creating a flinch in new shooters. Often the muzzle blast and concussion are more problematic to brand new shooter than the recoil would be. My daughter is 10, and practices almost exclusively with a silencer for that reason. She'd hunt with it too except that I let her take her rifle to her mom's house to hunt also and I'm not about to add them to the trust. I totally missed the humor in your statement also but I see it now. Anyways, I'll be hitting that unfollow as well.

Wow...great thread. Pass the butter please...
upload_2019-11-1_15-44-41.gif

Idk - people post crazy things on here all the time - like a brake makes a rifle more accurate. Its almost as bad as facebook and fake news. Guys voice an opinion and state it like a fact. They post a few sub par videos on youtube and now their word is gospel. Hard to know who and what to believe, you know? You've tapped out like 3 times on this thread and keep coming back - I guess in my mind 5'2" 120 competitive pickle ball player fit in line with how I pictured you ;)

There was a dude on another thread doing the same thing about a 50 bmg round (none raufoss) cutting people in half and the bullets vortex sucking the life out of a deer on a miss :rolleyes:

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts