Time to get on and pull the trigger?

TBell

Just wondering average time to get on target and pull trigger. If sitting, in tree, a stand, or on a rock, when you first see the deer, or elk, or sheep.

I'm guessing on average, if you've already assessed the animal as appropriate, 25-35 seconds. If buck fever with your second breathing procedure 35-45 seconds?

How about you?

Just wondering average time to get on target and pull trigger. If sitting, in tree, a stand, or on a rock, when you first see the deer, or elk, or sheep.

I'm guessing on average, if you've already assessed the animal as appropriate, 25-35 seconds. If buck fever with your second breathing procedure 35-45 seconds?

How about you?
I get back muscle spasms, can't move let alone squeeze the trigger and lose all track of time. If I have a sight picture of what I am shooting I need to wait for the spasms to radiate down my arm to my hand and trigger finger. If the spasm is still going it may pull the trigger and I might get what I am shooting at!
BUCK FEVER!!!

Last edited:

How about you?
If one is hunting a right of way or Sendero, likely if they can't pull the trigger in less than 10 seconds the opportunity has passed by.

My friend says I'm the fastest he's seen. From there is a shooter to boom less than ten seconds. I shoot the 1st good profile I see, I've never waited for what might be better. My experience is that it doesn't get better. And a frontal shot is great in my world.

I might see all kinds of antlered critters...and not pull the trigger on any of them.....
Criterias...
1....has to be a muley buck or adult whitetail....
2....even if it has big antlers it has to be an old enough critter to harvest more than one meal from the renderings...lol
3....if it is in the WRONG PLACE it can walk...hopefully I might see it again...
4....even if it passes the first three criteria I may choose to pass it anyways.....
sometimes I just want to be on the side of a mountain.....

It all depends on the scenario, but I'd say that the vast majority of bucks I've killed with a rifle or muzzleloader have been dead within 5 to 10 seconds of the shot opportunity presenting itself. A lot of my shots are 100 yards or less from the ground, so the longer I wait, the more time the deer has to detect me. Probably the longest time I've taken on a buck that was in position for a shot was about 20 seconds out in Montana. The buck was slowly walking across open terrain and I had time to range him at 425 yards through my rangefinding binoculars and steady myself for the shot.

Sneaking Elmer Fudd GIF by Looney Tunes

I hunt real quiet like, allowing more time.

Once I see that it is what I want....I "take my time in a hurry"! Squirrel hunting, prairie dogs, all good training for this. You also learn to take advantage of any available rifle rest. Lots of "off-hand" practice too, really helps.

Recent Posts