Tikka magnum build?

westexhunt

Considering I like short suppressed barrels, already have 300 wm components and tend to like common/standard calibers is there another chambering besides 300wm that I should consider for the tikka/lssxl chassis build I'm doing next (would be used for feral pigs and maybe a chance audad but mostly steel to about 1600 yds that's max on home range, but I have a place to go much more just for fun). Consider component availability too.

Tikka magazines length is too short for long magnum. I think you are limited to 3.45 or so oal. 300 wsm would be a better choice on a tikka. Maybe the chassis allows you to go longer than that is if so then have at it.

Considering I like short suppressed barrels, already have 300 wm components and tend to like common/standard calibers is there another chambering besides 300wm that I should consider for the tikka/lssxl chassis build I'm doing next (would be used for feral pigs and maybe a chance audad but mostly steel to about 1600 yds that's max on home range, but I have a place to go much more just for fun). Consider component availability too.
Currently having one built in 30 Nosler. 22" barrel. Will update when I take delivery.

Going to do a 300wm on this one. I'm old school.
3.56 is max in lss tikka mag. Definitely a consideration.
Nothing wrong with .300 WM (I have 3). At 3.56" COAL, it is no slouch. However, for the longer bullets, it will be a challenge. The .300 PRC and .300 WSM (I have 2) are excellent considerations. Good luck with your project.

Nothing wrong with .300 WM (I have 3). At 3.56" COAL, it is no slouch. However, for the longer bullets, it will be a challenge. The .300 PRC and .300 WSM (I have 2) are excellent considerations. Good luck with your project.
300 PRC is saami spec even longer than the 300wm. Isn't it 3.7ish? Mine is loaded to 3.6 something in a Alamo rifle ,not a Tikka. But there are some Tikka options if your happy with AICS mags hanging below the stock/chassis. Red snake is one.
Obviously the 300 wm handloaded with say a 215 berger is much longer than saami spec, I'm just saying a 300 PRC isn't any shorter.

300 PRC is saami spec even longer than the 300wm. Isn't it 3.7ish? Mine is loaded to 3.6 something in a Alamo rifle ,not a Tikka. But there are some Tikka options if your happy with AICS mags hanging below the stock/chassis. Red snake is one.
Obviously the 300 wm handloaded with say a 215 berger is much longer than saami spec, I'm just saying a 300 PRC isn't any shorter.
I need to re-visit this project. I haven't ordered a barrel yet. I think and talk heavier calibers and long range all the time but shoot 223, 22-250 and 22 Creedmoor daily. The big guns don't get much use here in the west/middle of Texas.

You are correct; the recommended COAL for the .300 PRC is up to 3.7," but the .300 PRC brass COAL is shorter than the .300 WM. So, no gain there other than having a modern cartridge, but with .300 WSM, it is significant - anything greater than 3." The .300 WM recommended COAL is 3.34" depending on the source documents, but I can load one of mine at the 3.7" range.

Last edited:
I need to re-visit this project. I haven't ordered a barrel yet. I think and talk heavier calibers and long range all the time but shoot 223, 22-250 and 22 Creedmoor daily. The big guns don't get much use here in the west/middle of Texas.
Hey, 22 Creedmoor is my favorite rifle to shoot! You might consider the 300 wsm or 7 PRC. Less hassle to fit in a Tikka for sure. If your still planning on a big un.

Hey, 22 Creedmoor is my favorite rifle to shoot! You might consider the 300 wsm or 7 PRC. Less hassle to fit in a Tikka for sure. If your still planning on a big un.
I'm usually not one to jump on the latest greatest cartridge wagon. But the 7 PRC does make a lot of sense and seems to be gaining ground quickly. Leaning that way. I've always been a 7 mag fan but the 7 PRC might be a fine replacement.

Recent Posts