Threading Remington 300 Win Mag Factory Barrel

Can you thread the barrel listed above to 5/8-24 for a muzzle brake or suppressor and if so what are the minimum thickness of the barrel to be able to accomplish the job?

Am I better off just getting a new barrel that is threaded?

Can you thread the barrel listed above to 5/8-24 for a muzzle brake or suppressor and if so what are the minimum thickness of the barrel to be able to accomplish the job?

Measure your OD at the muzzle and consult with a competent and reputable gunsmith. A competent and reputable gunsmith can create a thicker shoulder adapter even if the barrel is too thin for a 5/8-24" thread.

You have 2 dimensions to worry about:
1. Width of the shoulder for a brake or suppressor to screw to.
2. Amount of steel between the groove diameter of the barrel and the root diameter of the thread.
These are the standards that I use. Scroll down towards the bottom of the page.

I went with SilencerCentral.com for an AR upper to be threaded, sent in the upper and brake and price was very reasonable. Excellent work for my request. I understand you can remove your stock / scope-rings and send in your barreled action for threading. A call to them will help you determine if you have sufficient shoulder to work with from your barrel thickness. GL.

I forgot to mention, they sell silencers. So there is that.

Last edited:
How does the current barrel shoot? And how much weight would you be willing to add with a new barrel that's thicker and don't ignore adding the cost of bluing or Cerakote. A top grade barrel is $400-450, threading and chambering is another $450. ish and finishing is another $150-250. If you send it to LRI they will square up your receiver and do a great job where everything will be true.

If you have .750 " at the end of your barrel it will work if it's a .700 or smaller you would have to go a 9/16x24 and put an Adapter to 5/8x24 I have done this a couple of times on these pencil barrels good luck on your rifle

I turn sporter weight barrels down and thread to 1/2x28, then I custom make an adapter on your barrel, from a barrel cut off, I'll thread that on the barrel, then turn down and thread 5/8x24 leaving .010 for shoulder thickness that is at least .070 in diameter. This is done after dialing the barrel in to within two tenths of an inch, or as close to that as that particular factory barrel will let me get.

Attachments

• IMG_1775.jpeg
    IMG_1775.jpeg
    190.3 KB · Views: 47
Lots of ways to skin this cat as you can tell from the responses above. Too specifically answer your question .725 is the minimum book thickness spec for the shoulder on a 5/8-24 thread.

A lot of guys will not thread a .308 bore for 1/2-28…there's not much meat between the bore and the minor diameter of the threads.

As far as a new barrel, if you went that route…you'd be better off to sell that rifle and build a custom off one of the cheaper end actions. The Remington needs truing to perform and by the time you pay for that, you're not far off the price of a custom. Then there is the point of at the end of the day, you still have a Remington.

I had a 300 wm 700 LR barrel threaded and put a M-11 brake on it. Only regret was waiting to do it. Smith recrowned it as well. I shot that barrel out. Before it sat in the safe.

I returned my Weatherby Mark V Ultra-Light, in 270 Win , to Weatherby. They were able to thread the very thin 24 inch barrel and add a S/S muzzle break that looks just perfect. Slight scope adjustment was needed after I reassembled the rifle and added the new scope. Very Pleased with the results. The rifle took a nice 8 point last year at 262 yards .

Attachments

• IMG_8548.JPEG
    IMG_8548.JPEG
    635 KB · Views: 20

Recent Posts