Thoughts On Oregon & Washington As Hunting States

7mm man

I am thinking of moving West and finally got my wife on board. She wants to be somewhat close to the ocean (within 5 hours drive) so we agreed that Oregon or Washington would do (we wouldn't live in California). Unfortunately we have to be within 25 minutes drive of a JW Kingdom Hall as my wife is Jehovah Witness, but I think I can get that to work. Which state of the two has the best hunting culture? Which state has the most obtainable tags as a non-resident? Which state has the longest hunting seasons for rifle? I archery hunt as well, but rifle hunting is my passion. I know this is an elk hunting thread, but I am looking to hunt all big game with bolt action rifles (not AR's, not that I am opposed to that). Any crazy hunting laws I should be concerned of? I have really been looking around Bend, OR as it seems like a good mix of being close to high desert and dense Pacific North West forest. We love mountains and I also love to fish. Looking to cash out here on the East Coast and go all in on 40+ acres and a new home within the next couple years. Any suggestions, thoughts etc., would be appreciated. Thanks.

Just got off the phone with relatives from that area of Oregon who spent last week in the woods. Said it was nice visiting with the hundreds of people crawling all over the hills. Pay to play showed up there about a decade ago, driving a lot of locals off local farms and ranches to public lands. The California influx over the last 20-30 years double the population of the sate. While a lot moved to Multnomah County making Portland the joyus place it is, a good portion settled east of 97. It's still a nice place to live and half my extended family are in that area (rest bailed to idaho). But the hunting isn't what it used to be, or at least not for the dollars spent.

The West Coast is pretty much screwed. The leaders are making it harder and more expensive to hunt here. I won't be surprised if they start setting California legislative ideas making it even more expensive to hunt out here. I hate to say it but we're on the down slope.

Been in Washington for almost 3 years I've seen a total of 75 elk. 50 of those were in a unit that takes 20 plus years to draw the other was a lone bull that I jumped while bear hunting. Coming from Colorado I travel back home to hunt because hunting here is tough. I don't mind shooting whitetail but seeing a mule deer over 4 years old is rare. Maybe it's different on private? Idk. The amount of bears and lions in wa is insane. Fishing is great. Hunting no. I leave in 17 days to go back home for an antelope hunt and I'm about to start counting the hours. If my job didn't take me here I wouldn't be staying. One of these days I will get further east to the promise land and die a happy man.

Last edited:
I appreciate everyone's comments and insight. If it was my decision I would choose Idaho, Montana or Wyoming, but it was a lot just to get my wife to agree to just Oregon or Washington. At least if I want to hunt Idaho or even NW Montana I would be within reasonable driving distance. I am getting on a plane at the end of October for a NW Montana Elk/Mule Deer hunt. I am terrified BWI airport is going to take my precious custom rifles and throw them against a wall and stomp on my 2nd amendment rights.

I appreciate everyone's comments and insight. If it was my decision I would choose Idaho, Montana or Wyoming, but it was a lot just to get my wife to agree to just Oregon or Washington. At least if I want to hunt Idaho or even NW Montana I would be within reasonable driving distance. I am getting on a plane at the end of October for a NW Montana Elk/Mule Deer hunt. I am terrified BWI airport is going to take my precious custom rifles and throw them against a wall and stomp on my 2nd amendment rights.
Making decisions for a family move is never easy. As a military brat and active duty military, I have my share of moves, including overseas assignments. I always include my family in the decision-making, but coming to Montana was the best decision ever. I have been in Montana for 20 years and am working on my 2nd retirement, hopefully in less than 2 years. You have different decision parameters and challenges than us; I like your MT and WY personal choices, but do not overlook ID. Good luck!

I live in a small town in NE Oklahoma, and we recently had a retired military gent from Oregon move here. His family still lives in Oregon and they elk hunted religiously as he was growing up. He said it is definitely not what it used to be, and finding a place not crawling with hunters was one of the reasons he came out here. We don't have much for elk, there are a few, but at least a man can still hunt deer in solitude and fill a freezer. You're right on the point you will be much closer to drive to Idaho, Wyoming and Montana for hunting.

If your on one of the big timber company leases you may have some chances, but alot of public has gotten overrun by increased numbers, points and to many hunts in all areas has depleted animal numbers. Idaho is a ss by tags sold first come basis which runs out in about 6 hours now, Wyoming is also points and they've that more difficult. Social media has not helped a lot of these issues out. I see plates from almost every state come and go. And the communists have also came with inflated housing prices and their agendas.
Olny my observations