Thoughts on most consistent loading dies

osok-1k

I started looking at Short Action Custom dies yesterday and I like how much control one has over the case being sized properly for a particular chamber. I've been using Wilson, Forster and Redding for a long time, I like Wilson arbor dies for seating and usually use Forster for sizing but this relatively new die is interesting. I like Whidden's idea of making a die based on fired brass or chamber reamer drawings but the SAC sizer for a class of cartridge could be cheaper in the ling run if one shoots different cartridges in the same class, i.e. 270 Win and 30-06, 280 etc. $300. is a little expensive but maybe not for the end product.

I primarily shoot a 308, 6.5 Creed and 270 win. I'm about to sell all of my Creedmoor stuff as I'm getting older, my kids (in their 40's) don't shoot or hunt and I have no one to leave them to. I know that the 270 will do everything the Creed can do so I don't need to keep the rifle and everything that goes with it. I'll take some photos and post them in the classified section.

The rifle is a Curtis Axiom with a Bartlein #5 1-7.5 twist, 23" long. Bedded into a Grayboe Outlander stock, Timney trigger and Remington bottom metal. Cerakoted black. It also come with a Bartlein Medium Palma barrel gain twist 9-8 which is fitted and chambered to this action, also 6.5 Creed, same reamer that I had PTG make for me with min SAAMI specs.

More when I post it for sale in classifieds.

I started looking at Short Action Custom dies yesterday and I like how much control one has over the case being sized properly for a particular chamber. I've been using Wilson, Forster and Redding for a long time, I like Wilson arbor dies for seating and usually use Forster for sizing but this relatively new die is interesting. I like Whidden's idea of making a die based on fired brass or chamber reamer drawings but the SAC sizer for a class of cartridge could be cheaper in the ling run if one shoots different cartridges in the same class, i.e. 270 Win and 30-06, 280 etc. $300. is a little expensive but maybe not for the end product.

I primarily shoot a 308, 6.5 Creed and 270 win. I'm about to sell all of my Creedmoor stuff as I'm getting older, my kids (in their 40's) don't shoot or hunt and I have no one to leave them to. I know that the 270 will do everything the Creed can do so I don't need to keep the rifle and everything that goes with it. I'll take some photos and post them in the classified section.

The rifle is a Curtis Axiom with a Bartlein #5 1-7.5 twist, 23" long. Bedded into a Grayboe Outlander stock, Timney trigger and Remington bottom metal. Cerakoted black. It also come with a Bartlein Medium Palma barrel gain twist 9-8 which is fitted and chambered to this action, also 6.5 Creed, same reamer that I had PTG make for me with min SAAMI specs.

More when I post it for sale in classifieds.
I have custom dies (forming, sizing, and seating) made by Whidden on one of my custom rifles. Both Whidden and SAC make excellent dies. However, on my last custom build, my GS custom-made all my dies using blank dies since I own all the reamers (PT&G sizer and Manson chamber reamer). It was probably half the price and a much quicker lead time.

I like the idea of cutting a die with the same reamer used for the chamber
Why? Do you like the idea of not sizing your brass? A FL sizing reamer cuts a shape small enough to allow for brass springback and a slight clearance fit. Then the reloader can set the CBTD such that the case is perfectly aligned to the centerline when the bolt is closed.

Ideally if one uses the same reamer for both chamber and sizing die in a given rifle you will have an exact fit for that chamber. I have Wilson neck dies and use them on occassion, but if I want shoot a given round in different rifles and the round shoots well, I FL size.

Dies are only as good as the press you screw them into. You can make great ammo with Lee dies in a tight press and you can make terrible ammo with whatever top of the line dies screwed into a sloppy press.

Ideally if one uses the same reamer for both chamber and sizing die in a given rifle you will have an exact fit for that chamber.
Where does the springback go? In my experience brass has a bit of spring back.

I prefer body/FL sizing only in one die, neck sizing in another and mandrel sizing to finish the neck for my Precision rifles that are all custom chambered.
However, for my normal hunting rifles, I still use Forster or Redding dies because the neck sizing is held to .002" total movement, can't say the same for my RCBS, Lyman or Bonanza dies.
I will add I will never own or use Hornady dies, they are junk…

Cheers.

Big fan of my Redding Type S bushing dies. Probably right there on the pricey side, but with myself still trickling powder I don't think I can get much better loading out of another set.

I guess that's true about the reamer not being the best way to cut a die, never done it, just an initial concept in my head. That's why I like more than just my brain in a conversation, I have a lot of experience but for sure don't know everything and I greatly appreciate intelligent input. I also agree with the press statement, currently use a Rockchucker Supreme and arbor press. I saw a video on the SAC press which appears to be very well made