Thoughts on Alpine Optics

HamiltonIV

Hello, new member here, thanks for all the great info.

I won an Alpine Kodiak 3-9x scope at an auction a while back and finally got around to mounting it on my Winchester Model 70 XTR Sporter 30/06. I am able to shoot decent groups with it but every time I try to adjust it to bring it to center, the point of impact jumps way farther than the attempted adjustment. Sometimes off the paper! My buddies tell me to take a sawzall to it and throw it in the trash, is there really no hope for this scope?

Thanks in advance

Yeah, if everything else is in working order. And it goes off paper, it's probably trash. Looking online I found similar models and it looks like it's in the $100 range. That's asking a lot from a $100 optic on a pretty light, hard recoiling rifle.

Okay, so I will be replacing the Alpine scope, what would be a good replacement? I am new to big game hunting but I've been a lifelong bird hunter. Several friends have convinced me to take up deer hunting, so I am going to give it a go. We live in So Cal, and I will be hunting in the Mojave National Preserve. I will be using my Winchester Model 70 XTR Sporter 30/06 at ranges up to 300 yards. I see all kinds of features and options but I'm not really sure if they are useful in the field...

I didn't get drawn this year so I have some time to make a decision, I would appreciate any advice you could offer.

How much do you want to spend is the big question? For your hunting needs I'd look at traditional 3-9X40 scopes like the Burris Fullfield II/E1, Bushnell Elite/3200, Leupold Freedom/VX-II/VX2, Zeiss Conquest/Terra, or Swarovski Z3. Just keep it simple with a duplex reticle or ballistic reticle like the Burris Ballstiplex or Leupold Long Range Duplex. At 300 yards you will not need much bullet drop compensation with a .30-06.

You should find something in your price range as I gave you a fairly wide band as far as price goes. There are other good brands I've missed in this power range, and a few that I listed that will have to be found NOS or used. I'd probably stay away Nikon unless it's a smoking good deal since they are discontinuing all rifle scopes and warranty support for them. I've got a couple of Nikon scopes and I like them, but I won't buy anymore.

If you're wanting to spend 4-500 I'd call camera land. Talk to doug or Neil. they have some really good optics at reallu good prices. If I were you I'd jump on one of their meopta "optika 6" optics. It's a very feature packed optic at a really good price especially their " sale/close out stuff.

To answer some of the questions "side focus"... yes that's pretty much a must have for anything with precision especially at distance. A "zero lock/ zero stop" Is another "must have" IF you plan on dialing turrets for your shots. If you strictly plan on only using reticle/sub tensions for hold over, then it's not as important. I know these answers are kinda broad and vague but you're in the right place to ask these questions.

I don't have any personal experience with optics ducky mentioned , but they'll all serve you well I'm sure. However, I've never been much of a fan of a the 3-9 scopes I prefer something with a little more broad magnification, 2-12 2-15 3-15 3-18 Something along those lines. I will say though, And I bet most will agree, Buy a better quality low power scope, instead of a higher power low quality scope. Good luck

Your price range you're asking a lot. Doug from camera land can help you out tremendously. I would look at the mid tier Bushnell.

I will be using my Winchester Model 70 XTR Sporter 30/06 at ranges up to 300 yards.

Thanks ducky, I'm thinking in the $400 to $500 range. How about the features I see like "Side focus" and "Zero Lock"? Are they actually useful?

If all you're hunting and shooting at is 300 yards just keep it simple, you don't need a scope with all the bells and whistles. Since you're new to shooting rifles with scopes, just get a basic scope and learn the basics. Once you get the basics down and want to stretch things you'll probably buy a different set up anyway.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.