Thoughts on 270 wsm.

I've worked up a couple good loads with 71 grains of Rutumbo and a 140 gr Accubond or SST going 3341fps.

With those #'s, (IMO) no need to bother with the 150, your increase in velocity makes up for your -10 in gr of bullet. If you can get some Berger 140's give them a shot. I can't say enough good things about their product.

I ended up buying a Savage 12FVSS in 270 WSM. I've worked up a couple good loads with 71 grains of Rutumbo and a 140 gr Accubond or SST going 3341fps.
The barrel is a 1-11 twist and I don't think the 150 will stabalize. I ran the numbers in LoadBase and the 140 has better trajectory and more hit than the 150 due to lower velocities. I have yet to try Bergers but soon I'll pick some up.
It is the sweetest shooting gun I've ever spent time with. I shoot every weekend and inside 600yrd I'm first shot hit on a 10 inch steel plate, 725 I'm only first shot on a 14 inch plate. I'm getting a new scope next month and I think that will realy help. My shooting has iprove drasticly, by hunting season I should be good.
I'm really confident in the 270WSM on deer at any range but I have to shoot a few to know what how far to go on elk, it has a suprising amound of hit to it.
Hey man there ain't nothing wrong with a savage. I used a remington 742 for years that belonged to my dad. It jammed on me on a piece of bullet jacket down in the twisting bolt and I got scared to use it because they don't make parts for them anymore. I replaced it with a Savage 110 in 270 win. and the first deer I shot with it was running at 300 yds. and I dropped him with iron sights. That was impressive to me but the old gun is about 20 years old now and my eyesight is not what it used to be. I replaced it with the 270 wsm in winchester 70 last year after I looked up the ballistics reports on it. That old 270 just sold me on the caliber for life. Never shot anything but 130 grainers in it and it never let a critter walk away when I performed my end of the bargain properly. I put a mildot scope on the new one and am becoming very inmpressed with it also. I dropped 2 out of the 3 whitetails this year where they stood and the other one ran only about 40 yds. I killed 2 more with the old savage to bring my season total to 5, they both dropped in their tracks also. Just didn't want the old gun to be left out, killed a 200 lb hog with it also. The only thing I changed about the new gun is that I started loading it with 140 grain hornadys with 56 grains of H414, love the accuracy of the load but when these hornadys are gone I'm probably going to Speer bullets. I would go to remington but I don't think they make anything in 140 grain. Happy honeymooning with that 270 wsm, I think it will be a long and happy one!!

At 8000 feet elevation, using 1500 minimum energy for elk, the 270 wsm with 140 AB's max out at about 650-700 yards. But plenty of elk have been taken with less energy than 1500 ftlbs.

My long range setup with a 140 AB at 3160 fps, Savage 16FSS, Simmons Aetec 4-14 Mil-dot socpe is a follows:

100-150 yds: 2 mils low
200-250 yds: 1.5 mils low
300-350 yds: 1 mil low
400 yds: 0.5 mil low
450 - 500 yds: dead on (450 will hit about 4 in high)
550 yds: 0.5 mil high
600-650: 1 mil high
700: 1.5 mil high
750: 2 mil high

I have tested my rifle extensively with this setup, and every shot is in the boiler room. And for quick shots, cross hairs on shoulder crease will lung him every time. Only 9 different hold points out to 750 yards is about as simple as you can get. But be sure that cross hairs are level on a long range shot when using hold over points, other wise you can err greatly. I use a very small device that tells me I'm level.

I hope this will help.

I have found the two loads I'm hunting with and I am really excited to get to the hunting. I'm using 71gr Retumbo Fed 215's and either an Accubond or a Berger .015 of the lands. Both bullet shoot the same left and right but the Berger shoot 3 in higher so correcting is simple as I have a track for both saved in my Loadbase 3.0. AB's are running 3341 and the Berger run 3329. Both shoot under half MOA to 1015.

So far as I can tell it's running right with a 6.5-284 and one can find more game taken LR with that than the 270 WSM, at least till after this fall. I'm planning on documenting all kills as best as I can.
I'm getting a scope with an moa reticle and knobs so I can hold off for wind and dial for elevation. And I made and ACD on a mill with a level and an old scope ring.

I shot the gong at 725yds and the impact crater from the Bergers are identical to the ones from a 300 WBY using 210 Bergers so that is some indication to how hard they hit.

I'm more worried about impact volocity and accuracy than calculated energy, if the bullet is going fast enough to work that is what I'm concerned with, I've seen many an elk dropped with 800 -1000 ftlbs of energy and deer with less than 600 ftlbs.
but I'm going to work my way out so I don't have any problems.

I am very happy with this rifle and caliber, I think it is over looked in favor of some lesser 6.5's and 7mm's. I really want to try the Wildcat bullets when they get going, I can push things faster and I think that I could get some good stuff going.gun):D

Be careful using accubonds past 700 yds. Expecially if shooting in less than 7000 ft altitude. You are approaching impact velocities upon which the AB's do not expand very well.

The Bergers will perform fine at 1000 yds.

Iron Worker

The mag pro did give higher velocities in my rifle, but did not give the accuracy that IMR7828 would give.

Maybe mag pro would work better with another primer, but for now I'm sticking with 64.5 gr IMR7828 and federal 215 primers. I can't complain with AVERAGE groups of 1.5" @ 300 yds.

But thanks for the info. Have you tried the mag pro in a 300 WSM? I'm about to purchase one.

You already have a 270WSM why do you want a 300WSM ? Because you can ? That's a good reason to me. But! I once went Black Bear hunting. Already had this 270 WSM but I saw a 300RUM on consignment in local gun shop.Yes I had to have it. So I worked up a 200 gr Accubond to 3200 FPS. It took 3 hard shots in that bears boiler room before he dropped from the tree. First blew its far shoulder out,2nd shot broke its back 3rd its neck. butcher said bullet ruined a bunch of meat. If I had to do it again I would've either shot it behind the ear like the guide said and walked pass that 300RUM. No dang Black bear is a match for our 270 WSMs. Ive used that Mag Pro in my 6x284 and I got high velocity but poor accuracy. But in the 270WSM its great !

Mag Pro has not been on the shelf so I haven't tried it. My rifle likes 3300 - 3360 range. I've tried RL 17 and it was total poop for accuracy. I'm getting 150 -200 fps more with Retumbo than anyother powder I've used and its not affected by temp. swing at all from what I have seen. I have always come back to the Retumbo after trying other powders. Also am getting single digit velocity spreads with it which has not happen with anything else I've tried.

I'm using the Accubonds under 500yds and the Bergers over, at least that is the plan. I'm expecting some excellent results, I really want to screw on a new tube and shoot the 169.5 wildcats.

I have a hankering for a 300WSM also, make one to shoot the 210 Bergers.

Last edited:
What ? Pushing a 140gr bullet 3530 ! That's faster then a 7MM STW . How long is your barrel? What is powder charge weight ? I have a little Retumbo on the shelf. I'll have to try some.

I'm not telling the load as I shouldn't have even said I did it as it is way, way un-safe and it loosen the primer pockets up.
Again I was stupid to post something unsafe before thinking.

Barrel, 26 in and I think that it helps with the Retumbo as I know other can't get Retumbo to work in there shorter barrels.

It's the stock savage varminter barrel. I really am trying to cook it so I can justify a custom barrel and twist. But it does shoot very well.

i use hornady 150 sst's in my custom barreld tika 270wsm with 72.5gn of retumbo gives me 3184fps and half m.o.a acuracy out to 500 yards.
ssts and interbonds have the highest B.C out of all the hunting projectiles excluding the 150 berger which is only .006 higher than the hornadys,
ssts will give you a great all round bullet, still holding together at close range and still being able to expand at longer ranges when the velocity drops off,where as the interbonds and bergers will mostly only do one or the other.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.