This is CRAZY...

I would MUCH MUCH MUCH rather deal with price gouging the EVER EVER have the government step in and regulate prices. What we are witnessing happening is a live playing out of the ant and the grasshopper fable.
The ants are the ones that were smart enough to stock up when times were of plenty while the grasshoppers did not.
Now the grasshoppers are panicking and full of fear and regret for their short sightedness are paying what ever the market is asking for not being more like the ants.
I have always always found it completely and utterly baffling when people I know buy a firearm for self/home defense and #1-refuse to buy few if any extra mags and #2-buy only 100-200 rounds of ammo.
I have friends who hunt shoot and reload who STILL this day are making fun of me and feel the money I spent on components and ammo over not just the last 20 years but especially the last 4 years was utterly waisted.
I hope and pray TAMG they are actually right.
But all my friends each don't have enough ammo on hand for more than 2-3 seasons at best, including ones that reload.
Been telling ALL my friends for YEARS without ammo a long gun becomes a very expensive very ineffective club, a HG an essentially useless single use rock. Seriously speaking if I had to face one let alone more than one attacker and my choice was either a short handled shovel as a weapon or use one of my rifles as a club I'd choose the shovel all day every day.

I well learned my lesson long long ago when "Watch me wipp out my whilly Billy Clinton" was in the WH.
100 % about the same time. I saw the writing on the wall.

No man should be able to say who is essential or not in the first place.
If the government can define who is "essential", it can also define who and what organizations are a "threat to democracy," following which the threats are outlawed or arrested and thrown in jail....... remember the recent references by the Biden admin and dems to the "exisential threats" posed by "radical right wing organizations and people," including Trump supporters? Beware and be on guard.

I still can't help but believe that the current political administration has a hand in these shortages. They are evil and will do anything to destroy the second amendment.

Perhaps if local communities (shooters) would form a CO-OP and purchase 1-2 semi truck loads of powder and 1 truck load of primers direct from the manufacturers you just might find out what is going on.

How can they rip you off, if you don't buy anything?

If people spent even 1/100'th of the effort they spend being outraged, on standing upright, being responsible, and laying intelligent plans for the future they want and acting on those plans, no one would have the time or inclination to be upset about the predictable nature of capitalism.

The primer shortage doesn't disappoint me. Peoples reaction to it disappoints me. We have become a society where all our problems are of someone else's making.
I didn't buy anything. My point is just because you can do something doesn't make it right. When a manufacturer, CCI, lists a suggested retail price it is usually listed with a very fair profit. I get the supply and demand issue though and they should be able to charge a premium now, so charge double of retail but 10x, lol, give me a break. Charging a 1000% markup over retail is gouging or ripping people off. There are many new gun owners that don't know any better and will probably pay it. This particular retailer is just a bandwagon seller. I'll never buy anything from them. I planned "intelligently" and have plenty of everything but it doesn't mean I can't disagree with what they're doing.

These inflated prices put me in a quandry: I have extra primers (not a lot, but worthwhile to someone, I'm sure) that I no longer need. I can't ship them without paying hazmat, which makes them too expensive for the quantities involved. And I have some powder that I will never use, and I'm getting ready to move, so I want them to go to someone who can use them. I'm thinking to sell them face to face only, and I'm too busy to list everything I have, so I need to find someone in the local area who can use them. BUT, I don't want to sell them to someone who will then turn around and resell them at scalper's prices. So what do I do?

These inflated prices put me in a quandry: I have extra primers (not a lot, but worthwhile to someone, I'm sure) that I no longer need. I can't ship them without paying hazmat, which makes them too expensive for the quantities involved. And I have some powder that I will never use, and I'm getting ready to move, so I want them to go to someone who can use them. I'm thinking to sell them face to face only, and I'm too busy to list everything I have, so I need to find someone in the local area who can use them. BUT, I don't want to sell them to someone who will then turn around and resell them at scalper's prices. So what do I do?
I would say sell face to face, in small quantities.

Call me crazy, but I just sold 2k 209 primers to a guy who needed them more than me for 60$. That's what I paid for them back when.

The ammo shortage, I would think, will effect gun and parts manufacturer's in the not too distant future...as well as hunting in general. A part of the "Great Reset' the libs are planning? Likely, I think.
From my perspective it already has. I've been waiting to buy a couple of barrels to finish two uppers but the items I desire haven't been available for months.
I know that folks are paid buying if only to set aside components for a possible future build but when you look to a manufacturer to buy something that is their singular item built and even they don't have them, I makes my eyebrows shoot upwards in curiosity.
So prices will continue to rise and components of all kinds, be they for reloading or building a new gun, are becoming more and more scarce.
Is this a "plan" to prevent people from having firearms and ammo? Well it doesn't do much good to have one without the other but I don't see the government buying up businesses just to get them to stop supplying to the littlest of guys, that being us.
I hope things even out soon.

I am a program manager for a manufacturing company and one other thought to consider is producing at absolute max capacity is usually more expensive than producing at 75, 80% for example. Things like overtime, bringing in additional new employees that need training time, increased maintenance requirements on equipment, and deviating from standard production sequence (for example, widget 4 is usually installed after widget 3 but because widget 4 hasnt arrived from the supplier yet, widget 4 is going to be installed after widget 7. There is no work instruction that says how to do this efficiently, but it at least gets product out the door more quickly) raise manufacturing costs which get passed on to the customer. Maybe this is happening, maybe its purely "price gouging." Price gouging on something like water after a natural disaster is a very different conversation than reloading supplies. If no one would pay these prices, people wouldn't keep charging them. On the other hand, If the estimated 5million new shooters have genuinely increased demand that much, then these are fair prices and the market will stay high until production ramps up.

Last edited:
Sell them to me problem solved 🤠

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.