THINKING OF A NEW LIGHT GUN

flick

I am thinking of a light gun for deer and long range varmints.Right now my thougts are leaning towards a big 6.5 maybe a 6.5/300 wtby.,30inch barrel,McMILLAN tactical stock,Remington action, maybe a NIGHTFORCE scope surely nothing less than a LEUPOLD 8.5x25x50 LR. Depending on barrel contour weight 11.5-13.0lbs. Am i thinking right on this project? ANY THOUGHTS to help me out?

Sound's just fine to me...
grin.gif
....Where abouts you at in Bellefonte??????????

BOYD, I live in GUM STUMP right at the foot of SNOWSHOE MOUNTAIN.Sorry I was not on my post but we have a on going bathroom project and the KITCHEN COLONEL said time to work.SO you know the drill.

30 inch heavy varmit .940 muzzle dia about 8 pounds and a few oz's, provided this barrel isnt fluted.

McMillan tactical stock about 3 and a half pounds for the A4.

Remington action and bolt 4 pounds or so (dont have one to weigh and cant find weight of LA action).

NightForce NXS 8 - 32 X 56, 2 1/2 pounds.

Leupold 8.5 - 25 X 50, 1 1/4 pounds.

Light gun right?

Your looking at a rifle weight from 14.5 to 17 pounds with a 30 inch tube.

Flick, I hope you are built like a s**t brick house. For me, what you have described is my heavy gun :)

Of course, any combo can be made to work but for me, a light gun is something that I don't mind carrying in any terrain I hunt all day. This also means that shots can be reasonably close (inside 500yds). I hunt mule deer and moose and for me my light gun is a 30-06. I am about to build another stock for it to lower weight another lb or two. I am shooting for 7lbs complete.

The 6.5 wildcat will work but is very hard on throats and will heat up your barrel in no time so varmint hunting is limited to three or four shots. This is also a lot of gun for deer inside 500yds. That 30" barrel is going to be a royal pain if you plan any time in the bush.

If you like the 6.5, why not a 6.5-06 AI or the 6.5/284. With a 24" sporter barrel, you will get 3000fps with bullets that matter for deer and varmint weight bullets will push 3200fps. Easy on the shoulder and if you get a slightly thicker barrel, shot strings can be longer. This will be effective on deer to 700yds, if you can get the bullet into the boiler room, and varmints as far as you can see.

The rest of the components are up to you but for deer hunting, I would want a low end on my scope of 6X. Remember that deer can pop up a few yards from you and if you have too high a mag, all you are going to see is a brown blurr. Adj. objectives are also a pain in a hunting/walking situation. My scope is a B&L 2.5 X 10 with turrents. I usually leave it at 6X. This helped me connect on a large running mule deer last weekend. There would have been no time to adjust the scope in any way. This was a "big deer", take off safety, good sight picture with follow through offhand shot.

A 15lb rig would have been impossible to put into play that fast. I am building a "heavy" gun in a 30 Gibbs which will spend more time on portable rests then moving. This rifle will have a higher mag scope (6X24 B&L 4000) and will be used mostly for LR hunting in clear cuts. I am guessing weight around 10lbs. Barrel 26" with a 2" muzzle brake. Will be used on Mule deer, moose, black bear inside 850yds.

Consider the most difficult terrain/conditions you plan on hunting and build accordingly. I believe in keeping my hunting equipment as simple and as reliable as possible. In my area, the best hunting starts when the weather gets nasty and extra knobs, buttons and fiddly things just don't work when you are wet, cold, and your hands are a little frozen.

Have fun building your dream rifle. Take a look at the Rem 710 in 270. I think that this is one of the best designed rifles on the market today. Apparently is shoots too.

Good luck...

Jerry

well DAVE THANKS FOR THE NUMBERS-I GUESS I SHOULD HAVE SAID LIGHTER THAN 20#S.WELL BACK TO THE DRAWING BOARD.--JEOTHEO, MAYBE TWO GUNS ARE NEEDED A 8-9# TRULY CARRY GUN{6.5-06,260ACKLEY,ETC.}, THEN A HEAVY GUN FOR THE MORE STATIONARY HUNTING POSITIONS.ALL I HAVE TO DO IS BUILD UP MAY HONEY POINTS WITH THE K.C..THANKS FOR THE THOUGHTS.

flick, sounds like a plane to me the 140g in the 6.5 should work. How far are you planning to shoot?
Crow Mag

Well Jerry & WyoWhisper you two have me thinking. Objective-deer 600-700 yds max..The 300 win. on a 10-12# rig sounds good. A friend of mine has a 30/338 on a remington action 30inch HART barrel {remington taper ?}he claims weighs in at 11# scoped.I can buy it and a bunch of brass for $600.00 bases & rings included. Maybe a good placs to start. AGAIN THANKS FOR THE ADVICE PS A SMOKING 6.5 IS IN FUTURE.

Howdy Flick,
The 300 sounds like a steaming deal to me! If the seller is a friend, see if you can toss a scope on it and shoot it. Looks like alot of rifle for the money, and the 300 Win. is not only a good cartridge to start with, it is a good one to stay with also. May all your shots be "X's"
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif

OOPS, I meant to say the 30-338 is a good cartridge to stay with. The difference between the 30-338 and the 300 Win. is not worth even mentioning, except the 30-338 is probably a little easier to load for!

Flick,

You need to define what you are trying to accomplish. Your range, and accuracy requirements. The projects on this board for the most part are not for everyone. We design our rifles to suit a very narrow and specific need. 95% of all hunting does not require this.

Range and trajectory can be compensated by target turrents and a range finder. Flat, super fast magnums no longer become that necessary (under 700yds on deer). We choose them because we have the experience and desire to be cutting edge. Believe me when I say I shoot my '06 a whole bunch more then my LR rigs when hunting.

I would have no hesitation to take a 600yd shot with my '06 if the situation warranted it. Do I really need that 30 Gibbs? Nope, but I sure like my toys.

When starting out, keep it simple. Learn to shoot out to 500yds then think about what you truly need. A standard cartridge in a reg. hunting rifle will do all that and more.

Your best investment is in good optics (bino, scopes, rangefinder) and reloading supplies (practise, practise, practise). Most commerical off the rack rifles will give satisfactory performance with a little tuning.

But isn't dreaming fun..

Jerry

Flick,

Here is my "light" gun.. in 300 Win. Mag.

26-27"#5 K&P countour like that of the VLS Fluted, with tactical vent system.
McMillan A3 Tactical stock Adj. Cheek piece
Jewel trigger
ruger bolt stop
Powder coated on all metal
Light force tapered bases.
Lightforce rings
Nightforce 5.5-20X56 NPRR1
Should weigh in at 10 lbs...

Deer to 1K and Elk to 500.. is what it is being built for...

Jerry Rice of Nor-Cal Precision is building it.

I have a 308 ( that is very similar to it ) that weighs about 14 lbs and there is a pic of it on my other post..

"Here's where I hunted this year" under long range hunting...

The 308 will shot into .3's with factory match ammo all day long.. I get .3's with hand loads from my bi-pod.. It will shoot 2" groups from the bench at 500 yards and about 3.5"-5" groups from the bi-pod to 750 yards...

any questions... holler at me...

[ 11-15-2002: Message edited by: *WyoWhisper* ]

Now let me confuse you like I just did myself...

Compare this...

7STW 162 Gr Horn. SST 3100 fps
500 yards -39.89" 1742 ft.lbs 2201 fps
1000 yards -267.2 789.8 ft. lbs 1407 fps

300WM 165 gr Horn. SST 3200 fps
500 yards -40.04" 1608 ft lbs 2095fps
1000 yards -293.7 593.9 ft lbs 1273 fps

300WM 190 gr SMK 3000 fps
500 yards -43.76 1852 ft lbs 2095 fps
1000 yards -296.3 792 ft lbs 1370 fps

the STW still beats the 300wm with a heavier bullet..

Hmmmm... gotta think this one over....

Warning! This thread is more than 22 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts