There is life after Reloader 22

droptine

I'm like a lot of people if I had to guess, ran out of RL22. Wasn't able to trade for any, was always late to Powder Valley. So it was pretty much none to be had.

N165 works really good. One of theses days I'll be posting life after N165!!!!

What powders did some of you guys have a hard time finding and what alternative did you end up,with.

What are you loading with the N165 ? How does it compare with the RL22 in accuracy and velocity?? More details please...... I went from the RL22 to RL19, getting better velocity and accuracy for my .340 Wby with 225 Barnes TTSX.

My use of N165 is limited to 338 win mag and 300 Win mag. Neither are guns I've had long term, not any past history to compare. All I can say is its slower and burns really clean which is something I never even think about or care about. But I did notice when I cleaned at teh range and after the range.

I did shoot a really good group or two in my 338 with H165. I have not shot overy a Chrono yet. Got better groups with N165 than I did with Ramshot Hunter in my 338.

With my 300 Win mag I was able to work up to Max based on Viht reloading app. which after looking at other data the Viht app is was way hotter. Primers looked about like a factory round, hot but still ok. I chose to back it down 3/4 grain to compensate for hotter weather on the next 20 I loaded last night.

With that said, I am going to load some H4821sc in my 300 Win mag, RL19/N204 etc. in my 300 win mag.

My gut tells me the N165 will do better with Heavier bullets in my 300 win mag. Only 180 grains I had were Barnes and didnt want to load Barnes. So shot 165 gr Interlock. I have some 180 grain Speer Boat Tails and some Grand Slams on order.

I like to work up loads and go to the range. My be simple fun, but its fun for me even after all these years. With work and other stuff don't get to go very often, but will when I retire after the first of the year.

I use RL33 in my 338 Lapua . I was getting low and couldn't find more . I was able to get an 8 pounder of N570 . N570 offers a little less case fill% , a little more velocity with about 3.0 grains less powder .looks like a win , win . I haven't really played a lot with N570 yet , but accuracy seems good .supposed to be better at temp stability too .

congrats on your retirement at the beginning of the year . yesterday was my last official day of work . I have probably about 2 weeks to finish up things I have started , and parts ordered for . it's like a huge weight is lifted off my shoulders .

Attachments

• P9020214.JPG
    P9020214.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 159
I'm like a lot of people if I had to guess, ran out of RL22. Wasn't able to trade for any, was always late to Powder Valley. So it was pretty much none to be had.

N165 works really good. One of theses days I'll be posting life after N165!!!!

What powders did some of you guys have a hard time finding and what alternative did you end up,with.
You are correct N165 works great I started out with it on 2 diff 6.5 prcs and have had as good if not better velocities than any other powders used N560 would be my next choice

I'm a fan of RL23, I haven't tried any of the V powders but a friend swears by them in his big boomers(375 Cheytac, 338 Lapua). If RL22 isn't available, 23 is worth a try. Another powder that recently has really impressed me is PP 4000, not sure about how it's going to perform when the temp drops, but with the 147gr eldm in my 6.5 CM it's fast and accurate.

Its so dang hot in Houston area I never noticed the temp swings with RL22. I guess I work up loads in really hot weather. When season comes around shooting at game a little cooler I've never noticed with RL22, never shot over a chrono etc. I would guess if It was the other way around I might notice.

I learned a hard lesson with 7828, .5 grains below top of the chart one Hot August day. Savage 338 win mag went home from the range with a stuck bolt. I didnt want anybody to see me using a rubber mallett at the range!!!

I use RL33 in my 338 Lapua . I was getting low and couldn't find more . I was able to get an 8 pounder of N570 . N570 offers a little less case fill% , a little more velocity with about 3.0 grains less powder .looks like a win , win . I haven't really played a lot with N570 yet , but accuracy seems good .supposed to be better at temp stability too .

congrats on your retirement at the beginning of the year . yesterday was my last official day of work . I have probably about 2 weeks to finish up things I have started , and parts ordered for . it's like a huge weight is lifted off my shoulders .
Congrats on your retirement. I retired last year and have enjoyed much more time hunting, loading, and shooting. Look forward to hearing more about N570 results.

I still have a pound of Norma MRP, which basically is R22, but I've switched to Accurate Magpro as a replacement. Works well with my 25-06 and 120 grain bullets.

Congrats on the retirement.

My use of N165 is limited to 338 win mag and 300 Win mag. Neither are guns I've had long term, not any past history to compare. All I can say is its slower and burns really clean which is something I never even think about or care about. But I did notice when I cleaned at teh range and after the range.

I did shoot a really good group or two in my 338 with H165. I have not shot overy a Chrono yet. Got better groups with N165 than I did with Ramshot Hunter in my 338.

With my 300 Win mag I was able to work up to Max based on Viht reloading app. which after looking at other data the Viht app is was way hotter. Primers looked about like a factory round, hot but still ok. I chose to back it down 3/4 grain to compensate for hotter weather on the next 20 I loaded last night.

With that said, I am going to load some H4821sc in my 300 Win mag, RL19/N204 etc. in my 300 win mag.

My gut tells me the N165 will do better with Heavier bullets in my 300 win mag. Only 180 grains I had were Barnes and didnt want to load Barnes. So shot 165 gr Interlock. I have some 180 grain Speer Boat Tails and some Grand Slams on order.

I like to work up loads and go to the range. My be simple fun, but its fun for me even after all these years. With work and other stuff don't get to go very often, but will when I retire after the first of the year.
I understand about working up loads for the range and the interference of work! Like you ill retire next year; hoping that opens up s weekly time slot for reloading/range/PD activities.

Conrads on your Retirement. Within a week you are going to wonder how you ever found time to WORK.....:)