The strategic advantages you see helping

First bull I killed Co after moving here 1977 was in the open and I've been hunting same unit ever since. Units I'm still hunting has so much beetle kill and down timber don't see very many hunters in timber anymore.

The beetle kill forests are just awful. I talked to the Colorado Parks & Wildlife head biologist about beetle kill areas, and across the state, the pattern that has emerged is that the forest that are totally taken over by the pine bark beetle eventually become uninhabitable for game animals. Just like you pointed out that hunters don't go into the Timber anymore, neither do the animals. Once the trees fall over it's just too hard to move through.

My most recent bino purchase were 12x50's and I use them almost exclusively on a tripod. If you have the open country to cover I think this is one of the best ways to do it. I still take a spotter along, but glassing with two eyes vs one for long sits is so much nicer. I've even used my 10x's on a tripod as well. Having the ability to get a solid view allows you to get the most out of your glass. Vortex has two types of tripod mounts for a good price and should fit most binos.

Lots of glassing a day or two before the season opens, but I don't do any hiking through thick stuff. My goal right before the season opens is to locate where the herds are and possibly make a last minute change with where I set up my camp to be closer on saturday morning when the season opens. Ideally from a vantage point that let's me catch the entire herd out in the open within shooting range.

And of course I spend plenty of time behind glass looking for elk, and shooting them if they are within range. I picture that as the best-case scenario that we all dream of in the off season of knocking over a nice bull on opening morning. Just about every article you read in Field and Stream about elk strategy is going to talk about glassing for elk, and I don't think is anything new to any of us. Glassing is fun, doesn't take much energy, locates elk and gives beautiful views of the country... all good things... But I don't think that is a new strategic advantage that's going to help me shoot elk consistently year after year after year.

I only get an open country shot maybe half of the time, and it's usually within the first two days of the season when the elk are still in their regular patterns... just like Rifleman513 did on opening day last year. Once the herds get shot at a few times they stop moving and Monday and Tuesday are typically the most quiet days of the season. Knowing where they are in the timber, and how to hunt them there, is a huge strategic advantage for the times when the elk are simply not out in the open.

What are your strategies for finding elk in timber and finding the groups of timber that the elk are in?

What are your strategies for finding elk in timber and finding the groups of timber that the elk are in?

I just follow what I consider to be fundamental hunting practices. Put in the miles until I locate fresh sign, understand the wind patterns and basic elk behavior so I can set up in a spot where the wind won't give me up and I know the elk will show up... and then be patient.

Like I said in my first post, those basics are what I see guys doing wrong all the time... Mostly just never knowing when to stop hiking and when to be patient. In the thick timber, even if you play the wind right, constant motion will give up your location every time.

Just remember that elk need food and water, and where they bed down during the day does not provide that... So they usually will be moving away from food/water seeking shelter in the morning, and moving away from shelter seeking food/water in the evening. And in most places water is typically downhill. And in most steep areas that hold elk, wind moves downhill when it's cold (morning) and uphill when it's warm. There's always the exception, but that goes towards knowing your area. If you don't know it apply the basics and be patient.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.