The Raptors are ready!!!!

I agree, that would be nice. Everyone talks about a global country but I guess that only covers liberal thinking people. Those of us that are responsible and love firearms and the outdoors are currently in the crosshairs. Hopefully we can change that in the future.

Kirby---congratulations good looking product! I have a couple of BAT's and 9 Stiller's on Sporters and they both have their strong points and drawbacks now what I propose is that I either buy one and you ship it to my Smith or you can just ship one to him for evaluation. Would like to get his approval (he has forgotten more about precision rifles than I will ever know) before the other components are ordered for the build, also it will be looked at by quite a few people who are in the Advanced 3rd Year Program at TSJC so the exposure will be good.

Let me know what you think?

DWM

Boss Hoss,

I am sure we could work something out. Have to wait until I get the first production run of receivers in and then we can talk about it more.

Kirby, the correct headstamped brass for the 338 Allen Xpress from Jamison sounds like it's on par the 338 Lapua brass as far as accuracy and consistancy. Any comments as far as comparison on the number of reloads?

Chase1,

In the testing I have done with the brass from Jamison it seems to be standing up just as well. Please remember that I do not load my wildcats overly hot. Many of my customers get much more performance out of them then I do. In the 338 AX, I load the 300 gr SMK to 2975 fps on average and they have been performing very good. THe test batch I have right now has 5 firings on them and primer pockets are still plenty tight.

I am not saying they are the full equal to the Lapua in quality. What I am saying is that I do not shoot well enough to tell a difference...........

Kirby, I've read that with Lapua brass there no real deburring of the flash holes, what's your experience with the Jamison?

The lapua brand of the 338 Lapua has drilled flashholes so no they do not need to be deburred but I usually do just to make sure that there are no burrs at all.

I do not know how the Jamison brass is produced but the samples I have had some burrs. This is really a moot point. It takes about 2 seconds to deburr a flashhole, hardly worth discounting one brand of brass over another.

Besides, its a one time deal. Deburr the cases one time, the first time you load them and never again.

Kirby,

What kind of turn around are you looking at if I ordered an action today? I am helping a friend put together the parts to build a 6.5x284 and we are in the action buying business right now.

Thanks,
Richard

Boss Hoss,

In discussing this with my manufacture that will be mass producing my Raptor, the receiver body, rail base and recoil lug is 416R 34-36 RCh. 15-5PH is a bit easier to machine but even at 42-44 RCh it still has to high of a potential to gaul.

416 virtually eliminates the gauling and with new cutting technology and high pressure coolant through the spindle the raw bars can be heat treated before machining.

The complete one piece bolts are made from aircraft certified 4340CM. Again, this alloy with proper heat treating offers good corrosion resistance but also is very good for dramatically reducing any chance of bolt lug gauling under normal use conditions. Dramatically superior to a stainless bolt and receiver which always have gauling issues.

Banded,

Less then a month. For the 6.5-284, the Raptor is alot of receiver but thats never a bad thing. It would work best as a single shot but if you wanted to use a repeater, I would recommend the HS Precision DM system for a LA Rem 700 and seat the bullets out long. Single shot would be preferred.

Shoot me an e-mail if your interested in an order.

Boss Hoss,

In discussing this with my manufacture that will be mass producing my Raptor, the receiver body, rail base and recoil lug is 416R 34-36 RCh. 15-5PH is a bit easier to machine but even at 42-44 RCh it still has to high of a potential to gaul.

416 virtually eliminates the gauling and with new cutting technology and high pressure coolant through the spindle the raw bars can be heat treated before machining.

The complete one piece bolts are made from aircraft certified 4340CM. Again, this alloy with proper heat treating offers good corrosion resistance but also is very good for dramatically reducing any chance of bolt lug gauling under normal use conditions. Dramatically superior to a stainless bolt and receiver which always have gauling issues.

Agreed thanks for the information.

Big batch of right and left hand bolts are finished for the Raptor orders so the first big batch of Raptors should be ready here in a couple weeks.

Just an update.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts