The Oregon Goat • Model 94 30-30, Open Sight • 147 Lever Hammer

HammerBullets

The hunter devote a year of hunting using his Grandmothers 30-30, an iron sighted Model 94. He has shot a bear and deer with this rifle. Goats have a reputation of displacing lead bullets with their thick hair. Watch the classic 30-30 and 143 Lever Hammer in action.

Last edited:
The hunter devote a year of hunting using his Grandmothers 30-30, an iron sighted Model 94. He has shot a bear and deer with this rifle. Goats have a reputation of displacing lead bullets with their thick hair. Watch the classic 30-30 and 143 Lever Hammer in action.

I was just checking these lever hammers out. Wondering how well the (200gr) would perform in a Marlin 375 Win. Is there anything special to know when loading these ? I'm a a little concerned about the 375 Win ? I never chronograph ed it, but going by others data, it could be close to the recommended 1800 fps at times.

I was just checking these lever hammers out. Wondering how well the (200gr) would perform in a Marlin 375 Win. Is there anything special to know when loading these ? I'm a a little concerned about the 375 Win ? I never chronograph ed it, but going by others data, it could be close to the recommended 1800 fps at times.
I just answered your pm and did not realize you were talking about the 270g Shock Hammer. I still like what I was thinking and run the 220g Shock Hammer. Should be able to get them to about 2300 fps. The thin meplat will work down to very low velocities, farther than you would want to shoot the rifle.

That was a cool video!!! I sure had fun carrying my 30-30 in Africa. Might be taking a 45-70 guide gun to Ausie in a few months. That will be cool to shoot some water buff with.

I just answered your pm and did not realize you were talking about the 270g Shock Hammer. I still like what I was thinking and run the 220g Shock Hammer. Should be able to get them to about 2300 fps. The thin meplat will work down to very low velocities, farther than you would want to shoot the rifle.
Yeah sorry I didn't see the PM till now. I work night shift so I missed it between getting ready for work. And yes I am going with your recommendation for the 375 Win. I also have a 30-30, 35 Rem that will need some attention also in the near future. Just looking at all my options. Thanks so much.

I saw that video.....heckuva feat to get close enough to bag a goat with a 30-30. I did a similar "year" about a decade ago where I only used my Winchester 1892 in 357 mag. I tagged out on deer, black bear and turkey. Along with a passel of coyotes and raccoons. I cannot imagine trying a goat though

You going to video it ?
Yes. Giving Back TV is coming on the trip. There will probably be a few episodes from the three weeks of hunting. Also going to be working with high end done footage. Hard part right now is figuring out rifles and bullets for the trip. I'm really liking the idea of bringing the short barrel 45-70 lever gun. Will need to brush up on shooting open sights!