Terrain You Are Willing to Hike on While Hunting

Small Lady

Just how difficult of terrain are you willing to walk in on while hunting?

Speaking for myself, nothing extreme, because if I shoot something, I now have to make several trips out, carrying a heavy weight. Sure I know how to quarter a deer, moose, whatever, but that's the easy part. A small deer isn't so bad, say 30 or 40 or so lbs a quarter. But a moose can easily be 90 to 140 lbs a quarter, times 4 trips, I want the terrain to be reasonable. Honestly I was shocked by comments from another thread, where some say they hunt terrible terrain. Do you walk in on terrain so tough, you fall down regularly?
If so, what's the plan to hike out the meat?
Maybe I am missing something.
Thanks.

I will hike some rough country, and I just do not do the super dangerous stuff anymore. I have some vertigo all the time, and straight drops scare me the last 5 years. If we have two of us to pack out a deer I'll hike in 5-10 miles and spend some days. If just me I try to limit it to a couple miles for deer.
I bone out the meat and cape the skull if I have time. (Saves about 7lbs not packing skull/jaw bone out) If I have to pack it much more than a few hundred yards I bone it out.
I am still able to go pretty much where I want and I know I will fall down. Luckily I am still agile enough to roll, and move to minimize impact and not smash my bow/rifle.
This years buck was in stupid steep terrain, with blow downs for about a half mile. The steep where you have to step sideways because your foot from heel forward wont bend enough to touch the ground. I got into it without major falls just some stumbles and falling backwards against the hill on my butt. I boned out as well as I could, and did not have the time to cape the skull. Split the meat up about equally with half and skull cape on pack. I would take the pack down about 50-100yds, then go get the bag and rifle leaving the pack. I fell forward and did the turtle a few times each until I got out of the blow downs . Packed out 70lbs of meat and 20lbs of skull/cape. All told from hiking in 3/4 mile after spotting it, shooting, boning, and getting out to the truck little over five hours.

Im sure a lot of it depends where you live, bear recovery.Wilderness is right out my back door. Go sheep or goat hunt,muleys are running with goats almost where im at
IMG_4051 2.jpeg

Typical elk hunting terrain. Take 2 steps forward and slide 1 step back.
20221130_093531.jpg

This is the top of a 3 mile 4000' climb my nephew and I did last year.
177583.jpeg
I don't mind the steep so much, unless there is snow. That slipping kills my knees with weight in the pack.
20221210_071056.jpg

Up and down is typical. Up means more breaks to catch your breath and keep the legs from burning.
20191122_111756.jpg

Even miles of rolling hills suck with a lot of weight.
20170930_181929.jpg

Then there is antelope...6 miles from the truck on this one. I don't think there was much more than 50' of elevation change though...
20190824_090032.jpg

Last edited: