Temperature Sensitivity: H1000, Rl 33, N570

jett

For those familiar with these three powders, can anyone briefly compare their temperature sensitivity findings? I am only familiar with H1000 and have found no temperature sensitivity issues. Thank you for your help.

For those familiar with these three powders, can anyone briefly compare their temperature sensitivity findings? I am only familiar with H1000 and have found no temperature sensitivity issues. Thank you for your help.

Gunwerks did a YouTube video which they test these powders from frozen to 70°

I have shot both the H1000 and the RL33. In general, I have found the RL (Reloader) powders to be very temp sensitive; however, I have not found that to be the case with RL33. Living in AZ, we don't get the extreme cold that other places do, but I did not notice much change in velocity in the 25 - 31 degree range. On the other side of the coin, I try not to shoot above 75-80 degrees with any powder. RL 33 seems to be OK up to that point (as does H1000). Others may have different results.

I have shot both the H1000 and the RL33. In general, I have found the RL (Reloader) powders to be very temp sensitive; however, I have not found that to be the case with RL33. Living in AZ, we don't get the extreme cold that other places do, but I did not notice much change in velocity in the 25 - 31 degree range. On the other side of the coin, I try not to shoot above 75-80 degrees with any powder. RL 33 seems to be OK up to that point (as does H1000). Others may have different results.

You are correct with RL being temp sensitive

You will find that generally double base powders are more temp sensitive than single base powders.

Example, the 7.62mm Special Ball, Long Range, MK 316 MOD 0 is loaded with IMR-4064 because the RL15 powder used previously was sensitive to the temperature extremes in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Though my testing with RL 33 hasn't been too extensive, I have shot it in temps from 100 down to 58 or so with no discernible change in velocity.
I've used H-1000 in a 300 WM from below freezing to over 100 degrees with very little noticeable change in POI. Though most of this was 300 yards an under.
I haven't used any of the VV powders to date so I don't have anything to state from experience on those.

I saw my speeds drop with RL22, though it gave me great results so I switched to H1000. But tests yesterday in 48 degrees with a batch I that also shot showed a drop (~30fps) with it too, so now I'm even starting to wonder if the Magentospeed itself is temperature sensitive! Or if it's because I haven't cleaned that rifle in 100 rounds. Or....?

What are you wanting to use it in?

I use H1000 in a lot of medium/large case capacity rounds for it's fantastic temp stability, accuracy, and clean burning characteristics. From rounds like the 6.5SAUM to .338 Edge.

I use RL33 in many different 28 Noslers w. the 195 Bergers. They have been used from -20° to 110°+, and very little velocity swings were noted by POI out past 900 yards. While they were not chronoed in the field, drops were where they were supposed to be. I have chronoed loads from 30° to 110°+ myself though. They have been very acceptable in speed swings, about 30fps across 80° swings.

I have not tried N570 in anything yet, as I can't get my hands on an 8# jug of it.

completely untrue.
m118lr was developed for BOLT ACTION sniper rifles.( 175 smk in 7.62x51 checked my notes, original load was 2700 fps)
when used in m14's( which it was NOT designed for) it bent op rods. the load was lowered several times in an attempt to work in the m14,no issues in the ar10/sr25 family.
in typical poor political decisions, the current mk316mod0 load is "good" in lots of rifles, but we no longer have a GREAT load for the bolt actions sniper rifles.
m118lr shot fine in BOLTGUNS in the desert, it was weak m14s that were the problem.

You will find that generally double base powders are more temp sensitive than single base powders.

Example, the 7.62mm Special Ball, Long Range, MK 316 MOD 0 is loaded with IMR-4064 because the RL15 powder used previously was sensitive to the temperature extremes in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Last edited:
question. if you do not shoot above 80 degrees and live in az, what do you do for the other NINE MONTHS of the year ?
I live in sun city.

7mmRM, 168gr Berger VLDHunting
63.0gr ~2600
66.0 ~ 2710
Both produce .2” groups at 100

Same batch of 63.0 tested a month ago gave 2618, now gives 2588 average. Temp diff was only 30 degrees. I saw RL22 do worse. 100fps drop from 95 degrees to 55.

I notice little difference in the stability of most powders below 90 degrees or so. When the temperature climbs over 100 there seems to be a logarithmic climb in pressure for many of the non-extreme Hodgdon powders, especially when loading near max to begin with. Some of the RL series, such as RL22, will start blowing primers when temps rise. Living in AZ I finally settled of working with the Hodgdon extreme powders when possible even though I had some great loads with other powders. I have never used N570 so can’t speak from experience and won’t guess based on what I hear/read. Between H- 4350, 4831, 1000 and Retumbo I can normally find a great load for most of the cartridges I shoot. I keep some CFE223 and Varget on hand for a couple of others rounds but 90% of my rifle powder use is one of the top four mentioned; I am temped to give RL26 a try in a CM using 156 EOLs. I use mostly Accurate powders for pistols. Seems most of us end up staying with what we are most comfortable/familiar with. Just like everything else, when we have a bad or good experience with a specific component it stays with us. Doesn’t mean other components are not good, just not as good in my book and I tend to be more tolerant if something has already made my book.

rsmithsr question. if you do not shoot above 80 degrees and live in az, what do you do for the other NINE MONTHS of the year ?
I live in sun city.[/QUOTE]

I head north to higher elevations and shoot early AM. Dugas Ranch Rd. and the cut-off from I-17 to Prescott have lots of good places to stretch your rifle's legs.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts