RL 16 Temperature Sensitivity Numbers

mikey91114

Hello all, i am searching for the temperature sensitivity numbers for RL16. I have searched the internet and found some for other reliant powders but not for 16. I emailed Alliant and they told me it may be in quick load. If anyone has the data they could share, I should would appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

Hornady 4dof ballistic calculator lists it at one of the absolute lowest temp sensitive powders. They show varget at about 50% more, and H4350 at almost 7x more temp sensitive. From all I have read on it, it's extremely stable.

Hornady 4dof ballistic calculator lists it at one of the absolute lowest temp sensitive powders. They show varget at about 50% more, and H4350 at almost 7x more temp sensitive. From all I have read on it, it's extremely stable.
Thank you for the response.

CC73B0AF-F9E7-42CF-B8BB-E8FD170ECE9C.png
Not my data, someone on here shared it.....
...disclaimer here...

I was not sure how much stock I put in the "powder temperature sensitivity" issue UNTIL this fall.

Here is the deal: While deer hunting earlier in November I left my rifle and ammunition in the vehicle overnight when it got down to minus 5F. Early the next morning, while still cold, I had an opportunity to shoot a halfway decent white-tailed buck that was less than 100 yards away. When I pulled the trigger the sound the round made was way different than usual, kinda muffled, no sharp crack at all.

The buck took off with two other smaller bucks and I watched them run a half mile. There was no indication the buck was hit at all. I went to the spot the buck had been standing when I shot and no hair, no blood, nothing to indicate I hit him. I could not get the sound the round made out of my mind.

Then, the light bulb came on! The rounds had been subjected to cold temperatures for at least 24 hours prior to the shot. Lesson learned; never leave the rifle and ammo in the vehicle overnight when the temps are going to be below freezing, let alone below zero!

The powder was Reloader 19.

Within a couple days the temps warmed up and I took the rifle in the house each night to keep the ammo warm. The next two times the trigger was pulled while shooting at a deer the sounds the rounds made sounded normal and the deer died.

I had never had that happen to me before, but I usually don't use Alliant powders.

ClearCreek

I was not sure how much stock I put in the "powder temperature sensitivity" issue UNTIL this fall.

Here is the deal: While deer hunting earlier in November I left my rifle and ammunition in the vehicle overnight when it got down to minus 5F. Early the next morning, while still cold, I had an opportunity to shoot a halfway decent white-tailed buck that was less than 100 yards away. When I pulled the trigger the sound the round made was way different than usual, kinda muffled, no sharp crack at all.

The buck took off with two other smaller bucks and I watched them run a half mile. There was no indication the buck was hit at all. I went to the spot the buck had been standing when I shot and no hair, no blood, nothing to indicate I hit him. I could not get the sound the round made out of my mind.

Then, the light bulb came on! The rounds had been subjected to cold temperatures for at least 24 hours prior to the shot. Lesson learned; never leave the rifle and ammo in the vehicle overnight when the temps are going to be below freezing, let alone below zero!

The powder was Reloader 19.

Within a couple days the temps warmed up and I took the rifle in the house each night to keep the ammo warm. The next two times the trigger was pulled while shooting at a deer the sounds the rounds made sounded normal and the deer died.

I had never had that happen to me before, but I usually don't use Alliant powders.

ClearCreek

are you using a magnum primer ? how many grains of powder ? is it a compressed load ? thanks Jim

I actually change the .11 in 4dof to 0. It hasn't impacted my RL 16 loads. I shot RL 16 in the same load for about a year and a half in all temps. every time I chono'ed until I started seeing flyers at distance and groups open, it clocked the same avg, within 1 SD.

are you using a magnum primer ? how many grains of powder ? is it a compressed load ? thanks Jim

jimbires:
I was not using a magnum primer. It was a compressed load, 49.5 grains of powder in a 7mm-08 case.

I have usually used IMR (4350 and 4831) and Hodgen (mostly H414) powders (in several other cartridges) and I have never had anything like I described happen before. But, in the past I don't remember the cartridges being subjected to such cold temperatures for so long just prior to shooting.

ClearCreek

jimbires:
I was not using a magnum primer. It was a compressed load, 49.5 grains of powder in a 7mm-08 case.

I have usually used IMR (4350 and 4831) and Hodgen (mostly H414) powders (in several other cartridges) and I have never had anything like I described happen before. But, in the past I don't remember the cartridges being subjected to such cold temperatures for so long just prior to shooting.

ClearCreek

yea the bitter cold causes strange things . if you were in that kind of temps more often I'd suggest a mag primer . the cold plus the compressed load is probably just too much for the standard primer . thanks for the reply Jim

yea the bitter cold causes strange things . if you were in that kind of temps more often I'd suggest a mag primer . the cold plus the compressed load is probably just too much for the standard primer . thanks for the reply Jim

Jim:

Appreciate your suggestion on the magnum primers.

Thanks,

ClearCreek

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts