Targets...Brake rotors?

I have a bunch of brake rotors and am wondering of they would make good targets at 1000 yds for 338 Lapua and 50BMG. I am thinking they might just shatter without ringing or anything. Anyone ever try them?
A friend of mine used them & they worked fine. (If you use them put tape over the center hole : )

Cast Iron rotors are still the most common made. Cast will blow apart if shot with a larger bullet. Alot of cleanup using those but still fun to shoot

Maybe those that I've shot were all chinesium or maybe I didn't hit them with enough caliber, but none that I've shot shattered and they all made a dull thudding ring of noise when hit.

A ~100 yards even a 7.62x39 FMJ will pierce those that I have used as targets.

I was invited ta a range that had rotors from a Chevy truck for 1K targets. His kid set it up. Don't know what he shot. We were sod poodle hunting there . I know they were still up when we went back the next year.

DANGERS EXIST!
At a range session years ago, a buddy decided to shoot at a car abandoned by the local Police (they used as a barricade, and locals shoot holes it).
Well, I'll shorten this up.... A good shooter (pistol, though) decided to go for the exposed rear brake drum from about 70 yards. Three shots in, while I watched, he shot a round in. It made a U-turn. and at a slow-enough-to-be-visible speed, came all thee way back to us. I ducked right, but it hit me in the left collar bone, near the shoulder. Drew blood, even after catching the edge of a bullet "resistant" vest under the uniform. [All ok, though].
Inspection of the brake drum found that half the bullet hit a round-bottom drill-hole (made to balance the drum). Hence, the perfect U-turn.

Just thought I'd better share that before you try it....

DANGERS EXIST!
At a range session years ago, a buddy decided to shoot at a car abandoned by the local Police (they used as a barricade, and locals shoot holes it).
Well, I'll shorten this up.... A good shooter (pistol, though) decided to go for the exposed rear brake drum from about 70 yards. Three shots in, while I watched, he shot a round in. It made a U-turn. and at a slow-enough-to-be-visible speed, came all thee way back to us. I ducked right, but it hit me in the left collar bone, near the shoulder. Drew blood, even after catching the edge of a bullet "resistant" vest under the uniform. [All ok, though].
Inspection of the brake drum found that half the bullet hit a round-bottom drill-hole (made to balance the drum). Hence, the perfect U-turn.

Just thought I'd better share that before you try it....
1000 yards will help, though. Protect your target camera!

I have a bunch of brake rotors and am wondering of they would make good targets at 1000 yds for 338 Lapua and 50BMG. I am thinking they might just shatter without ringing or anything. Anyone ever try them?
Would be frustrating if you are shooting through the center or one of the lug holes and thinking you missed.

Last edited:
I have tried manhole covers (easy to get just pluck them right out of the street!) and brake rotors with my lapua and win mag both of which shoot clean thru them at close range unless you hit the thicker parts, and both fail from repeated hits at distance. If you have them lying around go for it seeing as you have nothing to lose but ar500 steel is a great investment and can be shot a TON with little to no maintenance if that matters to you.

Ps: just joking about the manhole covers I got them when we did a job changing the cast ones out to a synthetic style and held on to a couple just to see how they would hold up.

I have a rr staging area near my house. I have been given about 2 dozen of the flat pieces. They make great targets and also rear ballast on my tractor when I have to unload a truckload of round bales. First try without ballast was an E-ticket ride and not recommended 😑

I check with the local steel supply a couple of times a year, sometimes they have scrap pieces of AR 500 for cheap. Then get local welder with plasma cutter to make the sizes I want and holes for hanging them. I got four 15" x 10" for about $100
I do a similar thing. In my line of work we consume a lot of high quality of steel plate and there are usually scraps that can be repurposed as targets. I prefer 3/8-1/2" Hardox 550. It out preforms other AR 600 lines. Closet I've shot it was 30yds with a .308 and it barely leaves a dimple. 100+yds and you can hardly tell where the bullet impacted without a fresh paint job to help indicate. Needless to say, I'd consider it immortal at anything past 200 yds

I also use railroad tie plates they work great. Tried using discs off a farm implement but the were too hard and thin. The bullets either went through it without much noise or the just shattered. Soft metal is best.