Take off barrel opinion

806 guns

I have a barrel off my GAP Templar 2. I have a spare 700 action and had the go gauge in the bolt and set head space. Measured from the action face to the barrel and got .270 can i get a custom lug and check headspace for proper fit. Seems simple enough.

I have been headspacing remage barrels for the last three years.

I have a spare 700 action and had the go gauge in the bolt and set head space. Measured from the action face to the barrel and got .270
I'm not clear on what you've done here, how you can measure from the receiver ring to the barrel? What does that mean?

You need to measure go gage protrusion to the barrel shoulder. I made tooling that seats on the shoulder to do this very accurately (below), to get an accurate measurement otherwise you need to make sure you're not rocking the depth mike on the base of the gage.

Then measure receiver ring to bolt face. Difference + crush is going to be what's needed for the lug. Crush is the unknown here- since GAP did the barrel, I'm sure the shoulder is true. However, since the 700 ring isn't trued there would probably be a fair amount of crush. I would spin the barrel on hand tight (in the barrel vise), punch a witness mark on the barrel/receiver, then use the action wrench to apply final torque. Make another witness mark on the receiver to line up with the barrel mark. Measure distance between the witness marks, convert to thousandths you need to add for crush, then add another thou to end up at go + .001 when done. This will be the thickness of the lug needed. On final assembly just align the witness marks and it can't be anything but right.

Haven't finished my coffee, hope this makes sense...:)

Tenon Gage.jpg

^^^
OK, now I gotcha.
Check a few areas around the receiver ring. You might find a thou or two of variation.
Be sure to account for thread crush in your final lug thickness. JMO.

Man I wish I knew how to do this stuff
It's not "rocket science"...
Even for smiths, the machining operations are quite simple- but, they need to be done with extreme precision which requires tight machines and tooling.
For what the OP is doing, it's just a matter of understanding the spatial relationships of the parts involved, and clearances (or lack thereof) needed. It's all on the web...

Look up Bob Pastor on YouTube, watch his chambering videos. Even if you're not spinning up barrels, they explain what we do, how we do it, and how the process goes. In the OP's case, he's going to use a recoil lug custom ground to the thickness needed to get a barrel from a different receiver to headspace correctly. Normally, we work the other way- using a standard thickness lug and cutting the thread tenon/shoulder to the length needed to make it work.

Looks like i need to cut .003 off the new lug. Based off my no go with scoth tape on the backside till it locks.

Good thing i have family with the proper machines