Tactical help

Ksmirk

Ok boys and girls I am finally in a position to where I can build my 308 tactical rifle and while I still need to keep a budget I'd like to put some glass on this thing that I'll sport wood everytime I look through it :D now for a little kicker though this scope will have to have the ability for me to range targets, I have a SS10x42 on a 243 now and my tried and true Bushnell 3200 10x on my 308 that the barrel finally went South but I was looking at the Nightforce and was curious on how difficult ranging targets would be with me so used to the mil-dot? I built the 243 to make things easier to hit targets but it seems caliber restrictions are just around the corner and I am going to try to hit it hard next year so any advice would be great! later fella's and thanks for your time. Later,

Kirk

A lot of guys are going a way from the 308 because they have a hard time keeping up with the 260's and the 243. I'm a 308 lover so I mainly shoot 308. I have a 284 (I have only shot 2 twice this year) and I will be getting a 260.

Mil-Dots work for ranging but I prefer Mil-Line reticles like the Nightforce MLR, the Leupold TMR, and the IOR MP8. They are all broken down in to 1/2mils and some have on the outer side it broken down into 2/10mil. For ranging really accurately you need to be able to range to the 10th of a MIL.

The Nightforce is one of the best scopes on the market and are very, very well made. They are a lifetime scope. Leupold will also do the job very well for a little less in price.

If we can be of help for any question or price fill free to ask!

Mike @ CSGW

I have a 243 that I shoot the 107's and it is stupid flat shooting! thing I have to look at is caliber retrictions are starting to pop up giving you the choice of 223, 308, and 300 Win Mag and the F/TR classes you have your choice of 223 or 308 trust me the 243 makes it almost easy and I'd definatly go with another caliber but the tactcial matches seem to making it a bit more difficult so there has been some talk about restricting calibers. I have not any time behind a Nightforce and the mil to a 10th would make things a heck of a bunch easier to hit things I still have some work to read to a 10th with the mil-dot I'll admit.

CS GunWorks thanks for the help! Later,

Kirk

I hear you we also do a 223 / 308 only shoot at times.

Most of the scopes I use are Mil-Line Reticles w/ Mil turrets and it makes it a lot nicer. I do shoot with a lot of shooter that use MOA Reticle w/ a MOA turret and it works just fine. It really is what are you more comfortable with.

If I can be of any help getting you a scope feel free to ask.

Mike @ CSGW

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.