Suppressor with a compensator for hunting?

JimFromTN

I have a JK 155 rcx 30. I can get a compensator end cap for it. I have been thinking about getting one to hunt with but not for use as a compensator as much as a way to redirect the sound off to the side rather than forward. The idea is that it redirects some of the sound away from the game. Does that make sense?

Last edited:
If you are running a can, the game won't know where the shot came from. I have had game just stand there (and other animals WITH the game I shot), just stand around looking at why their buddy suddenly took a nap. The bullet impacting the animal is louder to them than the shot. And sometimes to the spotter as well. I ALMOST hunt exclusively with cans.

No use adding DBs to the shooter's ear adding a compensator to the end of a can.

Might google and see if anyone has conducted a sound test study in front of the muzzle with and without. I doubt it'll make a difference to the game. Only time I even remotely am concerned about sound issues with a can is for predator hunting where I want to be able to take multiple shots. I have found it doesn't make much difference, they are either confused or they are not. Often with predators, there is no confusion.

On my centerfires I run a Banish 30 can. Last spring on my deer lease I got into a large sounder of hogs in a field, at least 25, with a suppressed .277 Wolverine AR 15. At less than 200 yards I emptied a 20 round magazine and still had pigs running around in circles trying to decide which way to go. That is my only experience taking more than 1 shot at game. I have taken several other animals but didn't pay any attention to anything other than the target animal.

Couple of years ago was at the range playing with a 338 cal (yhm) can shooting 300gr smk full loads at 4 inch swingers had a guy come over askin what i was shooting...left him shoot it a couple of times....then he called for his son at the other end of range might have been 7-8 at the time little guy jumped behind the rifle and shot it (couldn't have a bigger smile on his face) kept asking for more ammo ....who was i to say no he shot about 10 rounds then he said its no fun anymore...i can hit everything i point it at !!!! I gave him an empty case to take home with him ...

Last edited:
Sorry i fat fingered the keyboard on my phone not 223 should have been 243 and I didn't proof read it before posting my bad so sorry 😐 i will not post anything before proof reading it ever again