Sunny Hill bottom metals and HS Stocks

338Rocket

Do the less expensive Sunny Hill bottom metals work with HS stocks? I have a PTG now that I picked up and it stills about 1/16" from the stock.

Also, are the stainless ones (#517) really stainless? Brownells lists them as stainless finish

Lastly, do they work with the Timney 2 stage triggers?

Thanks

I only ever use PT & G bottom metal, yes, they all hang lower than the standard Rem bottom metal.
It makes no difference to function, so, aesthetically it may not be pleasing, personally, I don't worry about it.

Cheers.
gun)

That Sunny Hill bottom metal fits H-S stocks very well and as it should. I can't comment on the Timney two stage trigger as I've not personally used that bottom metal and trigger together. I wish Sunny Hill would make bottom metal for the Model 7, too. I've been waiting for months for PT&G to make half a dozen Model 7 bottom metal for me and I'm about to admit I may never see them. Form follows function,,, all the components should fit like they are supposed to. I think PT&G is trying to do too much,, offer too many different things and as a result, they are doing nothing well. By the way, that Sunny Hill listed as stainless IS stainless steel, not coated to look stainless. Sunny Hill has always made top quality stuff. They've been one of my "go to" custom component suppliers for many years and will continue to be.

This is how the PTG that I picked up fits. I just noticed the Sunny Hill's from Brownell's are a push button on the outside of the guard, not sure I like that. I really don't care if it opens at all, but I don't think I want it in a spot that can get bumped.

Attachments

• DSC02581.JPG
    DSC02581.JPG
    317.8 KB · Views: 177
This is how the PTG that I picked up fits. I just noticed the Sunny Hill's from Brownell's are a push button on the outside of the guard, not sure I like that. I really don't care if it opens at all, but I don't think I want it in a spot that can get bumped.
It's a non-issue. It'd take a hefty "bump" to actuate it. The bottom metal on the hinged floor plate that Winchester uses on the Model 70 works just like that as does the bottom metal that MRC supplies with their actions. Part of the price difference between their more expensive bottom metal, with the latch inside of the guard, and what you're looking at is in the latch. It has a nice strong spring under it, it has to be deliberately manipulated for the floor plate to un-latch. Williams Firearms makes bottom metal that fits like it should, too. If you look hard enough you can find something wrong or not to your liking on about anything. I built a .416 Rem. Mag on a MRC action for a customer that hunts Africa about once a year. His concern about the floor plate latch were unfounded, but I dis-assembled the latch, removed the spring and replaced the spring with an 1/8" rd. stub or bar, and re-assembled the latch. The latch is non-operable, now. Some want the floor plate to open. When unloading you don't have to cycle the live rds. through the chamber that way, you can 'dump' them from the magazine.

I have to say, "Do you know how 'smiths find out what works the way they want it to and what doesn't? We buy it and try it. If it's not to my liking, I return it!" We are beginning to waste band width, here.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.