Successful Oregon Hunt

Just got home Thursday night after a John Day Cali hunt. We floated the river for 5 days and found this guy early and my son hammered him. Camped on him for two nights and after an unsuccessful stalk on Sat we made it happen on Sunday. My son (14 yrs old) dislocated his kneecap 6 weeks ago at football practice but the doc said he wouldn't hurt his knee any worse and that it would really just be pain management that we would need to worry about until he has surgery in a few weeks. My son toughed it out and did great. We went with Sheep Mountain Outfitters and they were incredible - I highly recommend them if anyone ever draws an Oregon or Idaho tag. I worked with Jordan Christensen at The Draw for the tag and recommended raffles and applications and he was a huge help.

250 yard shot and he went down a few feet from where he was shot.
View attachment 509966
View attachment 509967View attachment 509968
Congratulations to father and son on a awesome ram in beautiful country memories will last a lifetime 👍👏

Great to see dad/son trips & taking the ram: extra special. Congrats to you both.
Not familiar with the country, how much further was the float to the take-out spot?
Ha…we had about a 45 mile float…found this guy 3 miles from the put in and camped there three nights (per-opener, opening night after an unsuccessful stalk, and after the successful stalk). The next two days we did 24 miles, then 18 miles, and luckily we had a downstream wind the majority of that time.

Last edited:
Very Cool, a trip you both will never Forget.
Let us know how he Scored and Congrats.
Green he was over 180, and that is the score Oregon uses…Oregon has him as 180 7/8 gross and 180 3/8 net, and ODFW said prior to this year there have been 9 other book Cali sheep in Oregon. So depending on what happens this year it could be a top 10 Oregon Cali sheep. Will need to wait the 60 days for SCI but it could be in the top 10 or 15 with SCI nationally. B&C doesn't have a separate Cali sheep category.

Pretty wild for a 14 yr old…I don't know where he goes from here haha.

Last edited:
I decided to get replica horns made for the mount (shoulder pedestal, maybe like the one below) so I can have the original skull and horns for me and let my son have the shoulder mount.

Attachments

• IMG_3006.jpeg
    IMG_3006.jpeg
    200.2 KB · Views: 42
Awesome job brother!! Nothing like making memories like that. Congrats to the both of you. My best memories was hunting with my dad growing up. And now hunting with my kids it's a whole new world. Although I'm still waiting for any of my kids or my siblings kids, grandkids to hunt hogs with dog and knife with me lol. Maybe one day they'll come around

Just got home Thursday night after a John Day Cali hunt. We floated the river for 5 days and found this guy early and my son hammered him. Camped on him for two nights and after an unsuccessful stalk on Sat we made it happen on Sunday. My son (14 yrs old) dislocated his kneecap 6 weeks ago at football practice but the doc said he wouldn't hurt his knee any worse and that it would really just be pain management that we would need to worry about until he has surgery in a few weeks. My son toughed it out and did great. We went with Sheep Mountain Outfitters and they were incredible - I highly recommend them if anyone ever draws an Oregon or Idaho tag. I worked with Jordan Christensen at The Draw for the tag and recommended raffles and applications and he was a huge help.

250 yard shot and he went down a few feet from where he was shot.
View attachment 509966
View attachment 509967View attachment 509968
congrats! That sheep is a DANDY!

Recent Posts