Striker and the .308 family

Hey Rupe--shooting coyotes out to long distance with SP's is truly my 1st love. The best diameter bullet i have used to those ranges is the 6.5, with the .243 being the second. I would look at building the gun around the A-Max series of bullets mostly as IMO those are the best compromise between external and terminal ballistics you're gonna get if maximizing range especially with SP's. I would stick to the straight-up 243 or 260 Rem. There are slightly improved configurations of both called the SLR [super long range] series that gives you a longer neck and less case stretch to work with [i hear], but that's more time and money for little gain. I had a SS 260 Rem. built for a rancher friend and he just loves his. He's actually using the Hornady SST bullets [129], and he's killing everything on his ranch with it...Get a McGowen 8T in either caliber and get it going. They are the cheapest bang for the buck barrels going...IMO.

For optics i would go straight to the 3-12x Burris LER with both bells and whistles [tgt. elevation turret and Ballistic Plex reticle]. You'll need a Picatinny rail of some sort that will allow you to move the optic as far forward as possible as the eye relief is too long for prone shooting from a center grip using a bipod. Here is how i set up my system to get the most versatility for an SP hunting coyotes like i do [walking hunter]. This is a Savage Super Striker 22-250/8T McGowen set up for coyotes--

IMG_1413.jpg

If you decide to go for a rifle optic, i have been thinking long and hard lately on the best optic for this endeavor and i would stick to a Leupold 4.5-14x VX-III with a tgt. elevation turret and Varmint Hunter's reticle, since this system when maximized gives the best practical optic from point blank to +/-500 yds.

Now all this being said the 22-250 would not be a bad choice. I especially like the 65 Sierra Gameking bullet, and 75 or 80 A-Max, and that will net you 500 yds. on the nice days. But when the wind starts blowing the higher BC A-Max 243 and up bullets will net you coyotes you may not be able to get otherwise.

Thank you for all that info. that is great info. I will start saving the $$ (if I can pry it out of Mrs. Rupes hands) and start collecting what I need.
I glad that the 243 is such a good round for it. I have always liked it in a long gun.

My thanks to Tinkerer, xphunter, and sscoyote for all the input.

What about a muzzle break? Should that be a concern?

If you can think of anything else, please feel free to let me know. I am truely new to SP's and shooting handguns over 200 yards.

Thank you,
Rupe

A good brake sure helps.
Required if you go with a rifle scope.
The 4.5-14 with ART Reticle would be my top choice

I am waiting for a .243win. barrel and a barrel nut wrench to arrive so then all I need is a set of .243 dies. then will work up a load for it. Having a Striker is going to be alot more fun then I tbought. Now what caliber should I get next? lightbulb

Name some things you want to do with a SP...:D
I am waiting for a .243win. barrel and a barrel nut wrench to arrive so then all I need is a set of .243 dies. then will work up a load for it. Having a Striker is going to be a lot more fun then I thought. Now what caliber should I get next? lightbulb

Shoot Sagerats, coyotes, Badgers, Cougar, Mule Deer, Elk, Blk. Bear, Steel, Jackrabbits, Pronghorns, paper, At any range that is reasonable at my growing skill level. I will be shooting from benchs to field positions. Prone not so much do to rods in my back I have a hard time raising my head to look tbrew the scope. Sitting with pistol on bipod or resting on my knees is best or over a log or boulder.
Rupe

15"
The range is from a few yards to as far as I can shoot accurately. I live on the high desert of Oregon. 4,350' above sea level. The area is pretty much flat with slight rolling mounds. Sage brush is waist high and can be thick.
Rupe

Sent you a PM with my contact info. I can talk faster than I can type:D
Lapua, Norma, and Hornady make 6.5-284 brass.
Winchester makes 284 Win brass
and then after that and then after that and then after that? OH boy, this really could get addictive!:rolleyes::D

Is the 6.5-284 a wildcat? I see you favor it for alot of your LR shooting.
Thanks, Rupe

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.