~Straight Wall Midwest Hammer~

70FF8973-7565-4C1E-A8FB-BEDD913DCA0C.jpeg
2145 fps, in the teens with es, and low sd. I was impressed with the factory ammo, which is why I started to build these.

I like it !

I'm from Indiana and we started with slug guns and MLs only, then opened up to PCRs, and now finally rifles. I honestly think I was the first person to discover the .458 Socom met the PCR criteria. I kept it a secret until a few weeks the cat was out of the bag as I wasn't the only one that figured it out. In the end, I ended up building one for a prominent member of the IN DNR. This was before the .450 BM existed, which became popular later.

After I was bored with the SOCOM, I had a .358 Hoosier built (based off .358 win) on a Remington Model 7 action. We had a 1.8" case length restriction and the Hoosier worked wonderfully.

Anyways, good on you for thinking about those folks hunting in these states. If we hadn't finally been allowed to have regulars rifles, I would be looking you up! Good luck with the project !

Not sure which state this is intended for, but being from the Midwest, I'm scratching my head as to which state with straight walled requirements this is intended for as most have case length restrictions.

That aside, any cartridge driving the 325gr FTX is a force to be reckoned with. I built a SOCOM this year for it, having shot it in a ML for a number of years with great results.

It would be legal in Ohio. The rule states "All straight-walled cartridge calibers from a minimum of .357 to a maximum of .50". I built a bolt action 375 Win to meet this requirement when I moved here. It works but that rimed case is problematic for feeding.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.