Stockey's LRT Stock

merbeau

Hi

This is my third LRT stock. No problems with the first two. This one for Rem 700 Short action to fit a 1973 BDL in 243 Winchester with heavy varmint barrel contour. The unit fits into the aluminum block without any problem. Upon inserting the Oberndorf trigger guard and torquing the screws the bolt release will move stiffly and not return to normal. I have lubricated the release mechanism and still have same problem. Stockey's recommended a shim but that did not work either.

Anyone have this problem?

Thanks

Rober

Upon inserting the Oberndorf trigger guard and torquing the screws the bolt release will move stiffly and not return to normal.

Read what you wrote again. That's your answer, the trigger guard and the screw positions are putting pressure on the bolt release lever. Either the trigger guard or the stock inlet or both need to have the trigger slot enlarged to prevent that interference. It's possible that the screw holes are angled causing the trigger guard to put pressure on the bolt release lever.

Dremel tools are the tool of the devil. Most of us see the poor quality of material removal attempted by the inexperienced. The proper method is to use a mill whether you do the work yourself or ask someone to help you with the project.

I wold check the angle of the screws first to see if they are pushing the trigger off center. Then if that isn't the problem, work on the slots.

Dremel tools are the tool of the devil. Most of us see the poor quality of material removal attempted by the inexperienced. The proper method is to use a mill whether you do the work yourself or ask someone to help you with the project.

I wold check the angle of the screws first to see if they are pushing the trigger off center. Then if that isn't the problem, work on the slots.

Would a flat ile (which I have) work? I kind of thought that the bolt release was binding against part of the stock.

Would a flat ile (which I have) work? I kind of thought that the bolt release was binding against part of the stock.

A flat file for the longer slot will work, just take your time. You might want a round or radius file for the transitions at the ends of the slot.

Most of us who are dedicated gunsmiths have a huge range of files on our benches as noted by shortgrass. Yes, it can take a little more time to get the work done but it's done properly and many cases better than a Dremel. ;):D

I use a dremel tool a lot. A file sometimes and sandpaper a lot. Always turns out good and looks good. As long as you take your time and do it right.

I have a wand on my dremel and that helps with controlling it a lot. Not to mention slow it down no need to run it wide open. That to helps a lot depending on what you are doing. Nothing wrong with a dremel tool.

Last edited:
I expect to read responses as above. There can be exceptions...;)

I use a mill for trigger inletting these days because of the Jewell's being wider than some of the custom inlets. But who want to buy a mill to fix one trigger guard?:eek::)

I expect to read responses as above. There can be exceptions...;)

I use a mill for trigger inletting these days because of the Jewell's being wider than some of the custom inlets. But who want to buy a mill to fix one trigger guard?:eek::)

yea. I hear you. I would be the guy that would try to say I need a mill just for that reason...

Two tools I want to get someday. A good lathe and a mill. Both are tools that I could use even on the ranch.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.