Stock Options for Model 7

Bominiscious

Just had my model seven re-chambered to 243 ai. This is a deer rifle. The Remington synthetic stock feels pretty cheap and I've always just lived with it, but now that I've put this kind of time and money into the barrel action I'd like to upgrade it as quickly as possible, in order to hunt with it this November and December. Seems manners or McMillan will be a long leadtime and the only other three options I've found are Bell and Carlson, HS precision, or a stocky next GEN carbon fiber.

Recommendations?

Last edited:
The hs isn't quite as svelte in the grip and foregrip, not an issue to my hands by have had other guys point that out. The bell and carlson is very similar to other remington sporter profiles, it's a pretty generic sporter profile. Keep in mind both are molded composite around a bedding block.

The stockys is a carbon shell with core. Makes for a lighter overall stock at an added cost. Don't have my stockys seven in yet, ordered when they did a 399 deal this summer and it's supposed to show up mid Sept.

Of the stockys stocks, the refinement isn't to manners/mcmillan just yet. However for the dollar, tough to beat.

Don't think any will hold you back, my bell and carlson is 33 oz my hs was in the mid upper 30s. So a little heavier than the advertised carbon shelled stockys. Right now stockys has them on labor day sale for mid 400s, the hs isn't much less and the bell and carlson gets under 400. My personal dollars went towards a lot of bell/hs style stocks back in the day, now with the budget molded carbon shell for neat the same price my last two were stockys....

Altus has manners LRH in stock with the mini chassis. I have a couple of those LRH stocks and truly enjoy them.

Another option, is a chassis from MDT, they are very well put to get there and a pleasure to shoot with.

Those are my to choices.

Just had my model seven re-chambered to 243 ai. This is a deer rifle. The Remington synthetic stock feels pretty cheap and I've always just lived with it, but now that I've put this kind of time and money into the barrel action I'd like to upgrade it as quickly as possible, in order to hunt with it this November and December. Seems manners or McMillan will be a long leadtime and the only other three options I've found are Bell and Carlson, HS precision, or a stocky next GEN carbon fiber.

Recommendations?
I'd go with Stocky's. Mine ended up being 1.5 lbs I think they are every bit as good as Manners, McMillan, others, and much lighter than McMillan glass, and near half the price of many competitive CF stocks. I believe Stocky's originally mfd the Manners under private label contract but that may be bad info I got. The only downside to Stocky's is they tend to be slippery when wet. I posted a solution to that on this site.

Last edited:

Recommendations?
Check with your smith. I picked up a McMillan in a week or so that went on my custom. I'm running a defiance anti-X long action so you will more than likely be able to find something you like

Attachments

• IMG_0722.jpeg
    IMG_0722.jpeg
    267 KB · Views: 35
I put a camo McMillan on my mod 7. But, I also got it on clearance.

I'm kind of a fan, but never once (out if 4 stocks) had it fit properly. I have had to do work making everything clear. One mod 7 and 3 Vanguards.

I have an HS Precision on my 375 H&H and love it almost as much as my McMillans.

Between those two, you can't go wrong.

I put a camo McMillan on my mod 7. But, I also got it on clearance.

I'm kind of a fan, but never once (out if 4 stocks) had it fit properly. I have had to do work making everything clear. One mod 7 and 3 Vanguards.

I have an HS Precision on my 375 H&H and love it almost as much as my McMillans.

Between those two, you can't go wrong.
With any after market stock there will be some trimming or additional bedding involved I'm kinda picky but I like boring rifles

Attachments

• Attachment-1.jpeg
    Attachment-1.jpeg
    110.1 KB · Views: 19
With any after market stock there will be some trimming or additional bedding involved I'm kinda picky but I like boring rifles
Yes, true, but my opinion is that a "drop in" should fit so the average gun owner can just bolt it in. The lack of attention to fit is shocking on my 4 McMillans. Never needed to fit any other stock, HS or even cheaper stuff.

I bed mine as well, it's not a huge issue for me. Just poor design or poor QC. I still dig McMillans stuff though.

Yes, true, but my opinion is that a "drop in" should fit so the average gun owner can just bolt it in. The lack of attention to fit is shocking on my 4 McMillans. Never needed to fit any other stock, HS or even cheaper stuff.

I bed mine as well, it's not a huge issue for me. Just poor design or poor QC. I still dig McMillans stuff though.
Everything on that build was supposed to be a year wait from the Brux barrel, the defiance action, and the McMillan stock. Even the Wyatt mag box and bottom metal was a wait. I did end up using sunny hill bottom metal. Ordered everything in October and the rifle was in my hands right after I shattered my collarbone bone 1/14. I ended up with a rifle that weighs just over 7 pounds without optic, base and rings. But the barrel is 26.5 inches and a break for 2 more.

My point is you search until you find what you want. Look and keep looking it's out there

Last edited:
I replaced my model 7 factory stock with a bell & calson. Overall stock is way better than factory. Still a little chunky in the wrist and forearm.....but not horrible. Mine has an aluminum bedding block, but I still had to bed the front tang for a tight fit. Also, since I replaced the trigger with a Timney, the area for trigger/safety lever had to be dremeled out a little to fit and function correctly. I do like it and the price was reasonable. Mine is in 6mm Remington and she shoots pretty nice!