Stock fit

willtim

I have a Winchester Model 70 338 WM. It's stainless, CRF, and Boss. It has a Jewell trigger added by the previous owner. I hated the plastic stock so I bought an HS Precision with an aluminum bedding block. The trigger would not fit so I used a Dremel to remove some aluminum. It seems to fit now but here's my problem. When I lightly tighten the mounting screws ( there are three) the bolt and trigger cycle and fire with no issues. However when I torque them to 65 lbs the bolt won't hold the firing pin. I can loosen the rear screw and the firing pin will engage and the trigger works. Obviously I'm no gunsmith. Help? Thanks.

Try:
50 in/lb on front screw
25 in/lb on rear screw
5 (yes, 5) in/lb on middle screw

You are bending your action at the rear tang with too much torque back there, allowing the firing pin to fall when you lower the bolt.

But what the rifle is really telling you is it needs to be glass bedded front and rear to achieve a "stress-free" bedding situation for your action. You wouldn't think this would be necessary due to the aluminum bedding block, but your rifle is telling you otherwise.