Startup for Small Hog Hunting Outfit

Irokcrawl

Has anyone started a side business where you take folks out to hunt hogs and coyotes? Im in central Alabama, so there's likely a few outfits around. What type of licensing, business licensing, insurance etc is typically required? At this point, it's just a random thought that sounded like it could be fun and maybe provide a tax benefit for some of the more expensive thermals etc.

Has anyone started a side business where you take folks out to hunt hogs and coyotes? Im in central Alabama, so there's likely a few outfits around. What type of licensing, business licensing, insurance etc is typically required? At this point, it's just a random thought that sounded like it could be fun and maybe provide a tax benefit for some of the more expensive thermals etc.
Good luck
Besides getting a Business License to Operate as a "Hunting Guide" from the DNR you will have to get GL Insurance. Then if you don't own the properties/Land that you are hunting on I am sure that the Land Owners will need a Waiver of Liability singed by you and all the clients you take out.
You are in for a shock once you find out all the proper things you need to do legally.
My advice if you are looking for a TAX write off for buying some high end equipment, just start a LLC , BUT then you need County, State, Federal business licenses. $$$$$$ each year. And if you have anyone to help you then you may or not claim them as employees or independent contractors, so there are taxes and insurance involved. LIALIBITY
Unless you have a fair amount of money to invest, a lot of Land to Hunt on and being able to produce the animals that your clients want to harvest????? Do your homework on the pros/cons and your starting/operating costs.
Let us know by PM if you want more info.
Thanks
Len & Jill

@Coyote Shadow Tracker just told you the correct/safe/legal way of doing it.

I know tons of folks who have the clients sign a waiver of liability that covers everyone involved and they charge extra if you DON'T pay in cash.

Personally I have absolutely zero desire to hunt potentially dangerous animals with semiautomatic rifles in the dark with people I just met......but that's me.

Shadow made a lot of points. He also said you need a lot of land, I'd emphasize that you need a lot of productive land. 1,000 acres of hay with some creek bottoms may have hogs, but it's likely not going to have enough to keep folks busy at a business hunting level.

As far as tax benefit, sure you have to make money before you can write it off. Generally with higher value items it's amortized over years. So can you make 10-15k, in profit, to write off agains that set of thermals? Tax write offs may help but they are actually fairly complex things to leverage and they don't pay for anything they just reduce your tax liability…if you make enough to even qualify. The rules are in place specifically to stop someone from getting a business license and saying "ohh my thermal is for business". Then as Shadow said, if you create an LLC (which increases your tax burdens) what happens when it's done? If the value of the assets you put in increases now you pay again when you take the assets out. Real PITA.

My opinion is either go all in or dont attempt it. The weekend warrior approach to a guiding business likely isnt going to be profitable. Plus you already clearly stated you are in it mainly for the write offs (or thats how i read it at least)...as already stated, all the permitting and licensing will probably outweigh any of the benefits that a business thats poorly ran would offer.

I know the above probably is a bit unfair and based off assumptions, but I think its all true and sound advice. Nothing drives me more crazy than when you go to a guides site and it hasnt been updated in a year plus or you call them and they dont get back to you. If you are going to do it go all in and actually run it like a business you care about. Many guides out there do not

Last edited:
I ran a P.I. Firm in California for a number of years, both doing investigations and providing executive protection. You better believe I got waivers. IIRC, you can write off equipment and other expenses such as car mileage associated with your business, going to seminars and an annual business conference meeting at the location of your choice (wife did like going to Hawaii). Lots of benefits but then again you want to make money. My advice would be to talk to someone in the business and a GOOD tax man.

@Coyote Shadow Tracker just told you the correct/safe/legal way of doing it.

I know tons of folks who have the clients sign a waiver of liability that covers everyone involved and they charge extra if you DON'T pay in cash.

Personally I have absolutely zero desire to hunt potentially dangerous animals with semiautomatic rifles in the dark with people I just met......but that's me.
When you put it like that it sounds like the Ho Chi Minh trail. In the dark.

When you put it like that it sounds like the Ho Chi Minh trail. In the dark.
Honestly....

3+ guys in the dark with the definition of tunnel vision, ambushing a dozen or more hostile targets inside of 100yds, with semiautomatic weapons, throw in some adrenaline and that one guy who's "gonna get his money's worth" and you could have the recipe for trouble. Oh and do all of this while looking at a screen about the size of a postage stamp....with 1 eye!

I wasn't ever on the Ho Chi Minh trail but if the hogs had AK's it wouldn't be far off!

I'm not trying to get Dick Cheney'd with a rifle, buy a guy I just met who is probably an assistant store manager at STAPLES!

I LOVE HUNTING! What I love even more is taking new people hunting and experiencing their "firsts" with them! I have no problem putting someone in a stand or stalking some hogs in the daytime with a conventional optic.

Thermal hunting is reserved for my hunting partners who always bring their A game and are not idiots. These guys have solo experience thermal hunting and we run as a well oiled machine with little or no communication.

Honestly....

3+ guys in the dark with the definition of tunnel vision, ambushing a dozen or more hostile targets inside of 100yds, with semiautomatic weapons, throw in some adrenaline and that one guy who's "gonna get his money's worth" and you could have the recipe for trouble. Oh and do all of this while looking at a screen about the size of a postage stamp....with 1 eye!

I wasn't ever on the Ho Chi Minh trail but if the hogs had AK's it wouldn't be far off!

I'm not trying to get Dick Cheney'd with a rifle, buy a guy I just met who is probably an assistant store manager at STAPLES!

I LOVE HUNTING! What I love even more is taking new people hunting and experiencing their "firsts" with them! I have no problem putting someone in a stand or stalking some hogs in the daytime with a conventional optic.

Thermal hunting is reserved for my hunting partners who always bring their A game and are not idiots. These guys have solo experience thermal hunting and we run as a well oiled machine with little or no communication.
I agree with you. I have a few hunting partners that I trust and have a hard time trusting someone that I don't know in the field. Getting shot is not good. If you haven't tried it - don't.

Recent Posts