Spuhr cross bolts

Darkhelmet

I've got a sp-6001 Spuhr mount. Love everything about it, EXCEPT the cross bolts that secure the clamping bar. On my 2nd set and the heads strip out exceptionally easy. I've looked around for replacement bolts that are harder but so far no luck. Anybody got a better bolt?

I would guess that Spuhr marks the product with the required torque or at least notes it in their product literature. I'll assume that you're adhering to that. When was the last time that your torque driver was calibrated?

I would guess that Spuhr marks the product with the required torque or at least notes it in their product literature. I'll assume that you're adhering to that. When was the last time that your torque driver was calibrated?
I use fix-it stix torque drivers. I'm assuming they're correct. In doing more research, it seems to be a fairly common problem. I'm in no way bashing Spuhr, just looking for a better replacement than factory bolts. I did order some aftermarket bolts from a link somebody posted about this very subject, we'll see if they work.

In my various professions I've become quite jaded about torque wrenches. If it really does need to be torqued properly then you can not spend too much on the torquing tool. The more critical the fastener, the more should be spent and the more frequently the calibration should be checked.
As such I have a pretty low opinion of most of the torque tools sold to niche markets like firearms, and bicycles, and RC stuff, and......

A simple beam type torque wrench is easy to know when it is out of calibration. Bend the needle back to it resting at zero. Checking the accuracy is also fairly easy if all you need is a sanity check. Clamp the drive square in a vise and hang a weight on the handle, at the middle or at the pivot if it has one. The indicated reading should be close to the mass that was hung on it or a multiple of it. Try this with a couple different masses.

Beams aren't as sexy as clickers, but beams don't go out of calibration sitting in the tool box either. If we were drag racing and this was the torque wrench that you're using to put the bottom end back together between rounds, that's a different use and a beam has no place there. For what most are doing within the scope of this forum a beam is my only choice.

All of that aside, since others have had problems it sounds like the bolts are an issue. How about a picture of them? In situ preferably. Maybe there's an easy fix.

I've got a sp-6001 Spuhr mount. Love everything about it, EXCEPT the cross bolts that secure the clamping bar. On my 2nd set and the heads strip out exceptionally easy. I've looked around for replacement bolts that are harder but so far no luck. Anybody got a better bolt?

It's possible that the issue is related to the screws themselves, or to the torque driver being used. M3x6 Tx10 Countersunk Aimpoint Screws is a good option to look at