Spotting scope recommendations

I've read nothing but good things about the ATC. I love the orange color too. I'll take a look, I do remember the price as well, that's for sure!

Just grabbed a used STC off this forum for 2k. I like it alot. Definitely had to watch the classifieds for a few months to nab it. Another vote STC / ATC.

I run a 80mm Swarovski a little big but it's what I have and most of the time it stays at the truck, buy what you can afford but if you think this will be the last one you purchase save your money and buy the best

Y
I run a 80mm Swarovski a little big but it's what I have and most of the time it stays at the truck, buy what you can afford but if you think this will be the last one you purchase save your money and buy the best
Thanks for that advice! It's always a good reminder to balance spending on gear vs. being able to use the gear! Thanks @backrub30-378

Almost all of those are good because of the glass. The majority use Schott glass. Schott glass is owned by....Zeiss!
Kowa use their own flourite crystal as their lense. I am a big fan of zeiss and their glass. I also like the Kowa lenses.

It is a nice modification to the kowa tsn-553 (with the tsn-55)to use the TE11WZ eye piece that is compatible with their larger scopes. I have the tsn-99 and the tsn-553. It would be great to have the one eye piece.

I traded in a Leupold GR HD 12-40x60mm on a Swarovski ATC. The little Swarovski was worth the money. The glass and FOV were amazing. I couldn't wrap my head around the angled spotting scope. Hard to transition from binos to finding it in spotting scope. I sold the Swarovski and was convinced by a friend and watching youtube videos the kowa was better. I picked up a Kowa tsn-66. I regret not getting a STC after playing with the Kowa for the last few months. The glass is too close to tell a difference, however the Swaro felt tougher. If that's a thing. If I was to accidentally drop the spotting scope I think the Swarovski would fair a lot better then the Kowa. The FOV was well worth the trade off on the top end. Between the 15 hunters in our camp myself with the ATC and a friend with a Kowa 99 were the only ones to see a 3rd tine on a deer at 800yds.

Last edited:
Im going to the STC after having several kowas large and small and Swarovski to.I just find I need a packer and the eye box on Kowa Ididnt like.