Spotting scope recommendations

unofficialguide

I'm looking to purchase a new, middle to higher end spotting scope for this season.

Im running a vortex DB HD right now and I'm curious if any of you have experience with the maven, tract, or other recommendations?

Thanks in advance.

I'm assisting a friend on a 380 Montana bull elk hunt and need to upgrade my own equipment to " see the big bulls" (or at least that is what I told the wife)

Kowa TSN55 or the TSN553. Great light weight spotters. Packing into back country is easy with either of these. I run the 553 which is the older version of the newer 55. The 55 has a slightly improved eye piece. You can find some good deals on the 553 angled or straight if you look around. @gr8fuldoug can hook you up on one of these, I bought mine from him!!!

Last edited:
I run with the Kowa 554 and love it! I've got the canvas cover case which helps for protection and handling. Leave off if counting ounces.

Just spent 6 days on a pronghorn hunt and the scope worked flawless. Very good glass and lightweight. Throw it in a pack and go. Great magnification range (15-45). Check the reviews and see if you like the specs and comparisons.

I like the straight body for how I use the scope. I use it more like binocs as a hand held optic. My wife had our Leica 15x RF while I ran with the spotter. Just as good of glass as the Leica and I could start at 15x for field of view and dial up to 45x. At 45x you start to need a tripod. The prominar series with the flourite crystal glass is a big upgrade over the older 501/502. Also, the 15x-45x is a very nice range and upgrade over the 20x-40x of the older 501. You can always throw it on a tripod for better control, but for the most part I just used it freehand.

You might find a demo or on sale. I picked mine up in Japan for a song with the exchange rate, so not helpful for a source here.

Good luck with the hunt.

I run with the Kowa 554 and love it! I've got the canvas cover case which helps for protection and handling. Leave off if counting ounces.

Just spent 6 days on a pronghorn hunt and the scope worked flawless. Very good glass and lightweight. Throw it in a pack and go. Great magnification range (15-45). Check the reviews and see if you like the specs and comparisons.

I like the straight body for how I use the scope. I use it more like binocs as a hand held optic. My wife had our Leica 15x RF while I ran with the spotter. Just as good of glass as the Leica and I could start at 15x for field of view and dial up to 45x. At 45x you start to need a tripod. The prominar series with the flourite crystal glass is a big upgrade over the older 501/502. Also, the 15x-45x is a very nice range and upgrade over the 20x-40x of the older 501. You can always throw it on a tripod for better control, but for the most part I just used it freehand.

You might find a demo or on sale. I picked mine up in Japan for a song with the exchange rate, so not helpful for a source here.

Good luck with the hunt.
Thanks for the detailed info! I'll take a look into this option!

Kowa TSN55 or the TSN553. Great light weight spotters. Packing into back country is easy with either of these. I run the 553 which is the older version of the newer 55. The 55 has a slightly improved eye piece. You can find some good deals on the 553 angled or straight if you look around. @gr8fuldoug can hook you up on one of these, I bought mine from him!!!
I'll give @gr8fuldoug a buzz for sure!

I had a Revic Acura (made by Maven) - glass was "ok", but wasn't super sharp. I ended up selling and going with a Swaro ATC (which I believe are still on sale right now). Extremely happy with it.

If you can swing it, definitely worth the look!

I had a Revic Acura (made by Maven) - glass was "ok", but wasn't super sharp. I ended up selling and going with a Swaro ATC (which I believe are still on sale right now). Extremely happy with it.

If you can swing it, definitely worth the look!
I've read nothing but good things about the ATC. I love the orange color too. I'll take a look, I do remember the price as well, that's for sure!