Some help with load data

Where did you get that info about Alliant powder "closed their doors"? Some local retailers here just got large shipments in.
Could just be a nasty rumour, that's why I suggested checking...heard they have and heard they haven't....twice with searches two different answers....I don't use RL otherwise I would call them directly....heck....I will just call now!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240722-100321.png
    Screenshot_20240722-100321.png
    122.1 KB · Views: 40
We've been running 80 gr. rl25 with a cup and core 150 gr. bullet for years in the 7stw's we've had.
82 gr. rl25 for 140 Accubonds are deadly in my rifle. My avatar was headshot at 300 yards with 1.
I'd run the charge like 80 is a max and start 10% or so under and go to pressure.

As to rl25 availability, it's around, but I've gone to v565 and v570. 20 bucks a pound cheaper and the same basic performance.

edit. I still haven't moved my 7stw over to v powders as I have 300 rounds of 140 ab's loaded, but I see no reason it won't do well. My 300win rifles are running as well or better with v565 and 570.

Last edited:
Well I have a bunch of ramshot magnum, so I started with hornady data for a 150gr. That's not the answer. Maxed out at 85gr so about 96% case capacity. No pressure signs at all but only gained 140 fps from 81-85 gr. They only ran a tad over 2700. I'm going to try h4831sc next. Any thoughts?

Back in March Alliant announced suspension of their powders for reloading due to lack of nitrocellulose. The conflict in Ukraine seems to be main reason due it being consumed for military ammunition applications.

Unknown if and when they will return to the reloader marketplace.

Well in heard some bad news. The owner of Badlands Precision, George has passed away. My condolences to the family.
Knowing this I'm going to move on to a different bullet. Thank you all for the help

A little bit of misinformation...they just closed manufacturing their own powders...and are buying powder and blending under their labels.
Are you sure about that?

I just checked a powder seller who has 9 SKU's of Alliant rifle powder in stock. Alliant put out a letter which claimed they were stopping retail sales for some period. It was not clear if that was for 1 sec or 1 years. The result has been what they wanted which is record sales prices and sales volume of their products. My guess is they have a warehouse full of excess powder and they want to fundamentally raise their price to retailers by $5-$10 per lb. Thus the letter to drive 1lb bottles to $70 and 8lb bottles to $470. This should meet their goal and allow them to raise pricing permanently while lowering prices in the short term.

Last edited: