Solo backpackers ???

I have been solo backpacking for 50 years. At 65 I still don't hesitate. Just gotta be safe, conservative decision making, bring the right equipment, and I will admit I've started carrying my cell phone for 911 emergency.

Yep. If my knees hadn't gone bad on me, I would still go. However, after backpacking with my sons for years as they were growing up, I don't find as much pleasure in going by myself as I used to.

F7710.jpg

Yep. If my knees hadn't gone bad on me, I would still go. However, after backpacking with my sons for years as they were growing up, I don't find as much pleasure in going by myself as I used to.

View attachment 579733
Brings back good memories fishing in small streams in NE PA and CT catching Native Brookie's!
PRICELESS!!!

Yeah my wife and my dad tell me all the time it's not safe to go out by myself but with my schedule I don't always have a hunting partner so I go by myself. Usually I make it back to my truck and sleep inside or in the bed of the truck. How many of you go on backpack trips by yourself?
I sort of find it peaceful by myself in the woods even if it isn't "safe" but that's me. Some might find it boring but one thing I like is watching the sunrise and sun set over the mountains
You are highlighting my life right here. Did an 11 day solo sheep hunt in the Rockies a bit ago and planning another one this year if everything works out. Once the kids are older, and we stop having new ones every two years it I will probably have a bunch of hunting partners!!

I do ask people if they want to come, but usually their work doesn't line up the same as mine.

The wife is happy for the inReach, don't leave home without it.

Nothing beats sitting on the side of a mountain watching the sun and looking for critters. Also I do find I am a little less daring when alone. Like after one storm the rivers swelled pretty high so I did turn back to find another route, but if I had a partner there, I probably would have pushed on.

Pro Patria!

Recent Posts