Snowy Mountain Rifles wants your input on ideal walking varmint rifle

i am no pro by no means but i usually get 50+ yotes a year and i use two rifles a 257 WTBY Mark V Ultralight when i have to cover alot of ground calling. The second one is a RRA predator. If i was to build a rifle for coyotes and other predators and some varmiting i think i would build a

.223 (cheap to shoot unlike the WTBY flat enough for 300yds on a dog)
20 in fluted sporter weight barrel (not good at contour #'s sorry)
removable clip
HS stock I would like a rail on each side or atleast one side of the fore arm for a laser mount (I have one on my RRA and use it at dusk alot when it is to hard to see the cross hairs on yotes inside 100yds
jewell trigger
4.5-14X50 scope

Sorry i am no pro like i said i just have a vision of the gun i would like to have. It is similar to the tikka scout rifle but with a sporter weight fluted barrel.

I guess from reading to each his own but this would work for me

This is what I built.
22x47 lapua
McMillan A-3 sporter
27" lilja 1-8 3 groove tactical taper "spiral fluted by kampfeld custom
bat vr 90 right bolt left port
Seekins 20 moa rail
jewel trigger
Wyatt bottom metal
Schmidt&bender 4-16x42 p4f pmII
Harris L pivoting Bi-pod.

I started out using the 80 grain jlk and they worked well, I have since moved onto the Berger 80 grain vld. This load is pushing the Berger at 3390 fps with exceptional accuracy "one coyote dead at 905 last Sunday with two witnesses and one hit but not recovered past the 1k mark" this package weighs around twelve pounds I guess it wouldn't really be classified as a "walking" varminter but it is a bit lighter than my tactical rifles.

257 WTBY,

Any particular bullet you would prefer to use? How about camo colors?

Windowlicker, you have any camo or color preference?

Geb

I use the 55 grain ballistic tip bullet butwhen i dont have any reloads i use federals or hornady loaded with the v max. I would like to have a stock that was a camo'd base of desert camo sand tan and use some different shades of brown, dark od green and hints of white stripes for snowy yote hunting. I would also like a weight around 8 pounds minus scope.

I am no 1000yd coyote shooter most of mine are inside the 500 yd mark although a few weeks ago i shot one a 519 with the old 257 WTBY.

I like the idea of the 20in barrel on the .223 for ease of moving thru the brush and the sporter weight barrel so i am not carrying my 26in full bull .220 swift that i originally built for coyote hunting. One season carrying that heavy sucker and it got retired to prairie dogs and rock chucks from a stationary position.

Thanks for asking for input I cant wait to see what u come up with....

Nick, I ordered my stock in snow call and had the metal defaulted in flat black to start. I have since had the stock painted a medium Brown. I will send a pic to the number you have listed. I can't post pics from my phone, if you want to post it on here that is fine. glad to see Jason is using a defiance action now.

1. 6.5 Grendel-freebored .225"lightbulb
2. 1-9
3.#3
4. 20"
5. multiple-85 gr. Sie Varminter, and 123 gr. Lapua, SMK, and A-max
6. light laminate
7. Standard laminate, we can paint as needed
8. Side sling studs cut in cup style. and a bipod stud on the bottom.
9. Timney sportsman would suffice, but a Jewell or Geissle would be nicer. Huber also makes a really nice trigger.

The first qualifier here to me is "WALKING" varminter. That means as light as you can get to carry around while doing something else. I grew up farming out on the edge of the desert and often I would take the .22 along in case something needed dispatching. Problem was, it didn't have the range I liked. That meant packing the .222 Savage 340 that my dad had. It was a brick. And, still lacked the punch I sometimes wanted. So a slight upping of power, but still maintaining my minimal weight requirements.

I chose this cartridge as I like long range ballistics, even from a small light gun. But, at the same time I also like to shoot a little bullet as fast as I can. This twist (1-9") does well with both bullet choices. I've done this with two AR's. If you want something common, go into the store and buy it, i.e. .223, .22-250. This is a custom, make it so. The short medium weight sporter is the best way to stiffen a barrel I can think of. Also, this being a bolt gun does not have the gas issues an AR does. The bullets themselves are light. If you want to bring along a couple hundred it won't weigh anything near what full power rounds weigh, much like the .223.
The light laminate stock is chosen as they will maintain strength as we find places to add or whittle off the weight. Again, 'walking varminter' means going about, and you need a light rifle, not a 'dedicated, set up shop over your prime varmint real estate' kind of rifle. They can be painted and no one cares, strip it off and paint it for the next season. And, my sling stud style is so I'm not getting poked in the back while packing it around slung.

As it is a walking varminter, I'd like to not have a super hair trigger. But, still have one that is fine enough to pull easy. I have several Timney's and they all work very well in this regard. A
Jewell or Geissle would be nicer. Huber also makes a really nice trigger. If those could be fitted they would be an option.

There is often so many choices it's hard to nail it down to one thing. But, that is how I'd set my one-all/do-all 'walking varmint' rifle up.

Geb,
My 2 cents. To me "walking rifle" makes weight the single most important factor. When I "walk" i cover a few miles and a 10lb rifle is UNSAT. I carried some 10 pounders when I was younger....I refuse to now. My walking rifle for coyotes, hogs, deer, bear, etc. is a Browning Xbolt composite stainless stalker in .243 cal...... 6lbs 5oz. I even have to have a light weight scope Leupold VX3..... 15oz 4.5x14 scope. This is the lightest combo I've seen yet that shoots under moa. Also, all walking rifles need a light weight sling.

My ground squirrel "walking rifle" is a .22 rimfire.

I've got other rifles for shooting from vehicle tailgates, stands, porches, benches etc.

MW

"The Dog Walker"

Standard 22-250
1:12 twist
26" Fluted #4 Contour Barrel
Nosler 55 gr BT or 55 Berger MGFB Vrmt
Stock: McMillian A-3 Sporter with addtl swivel stud
Tan Digital Camo
Jewell Hunter set @ 1.5 to 2.0 lbs

This rifle would be just what the Dr. ordered.
Merry Christmas everyone.

The 22.243 win is awesome but I would not go with it for a walking gun. I run mine with a 28 inch barrel and would do the the same with a 22.250ai. So, for a 22-24 inch barreled rifle in a number 4 contour (flutes-brux interrupted) I would either go with a 22 inch 223AI or a standard 22.250 rem with a 24 inch barrel. And i will lean more towards the 22.250 chambering. Twist would be 1:9 for the 75 grain hornady Amax. I would put this in a manners mcs-t stock with a molded in camo finish. The trigger would be a shilen. Jewel is the best but for a rifle out in the elements, it might not be as dependable as one with the more traditional design and less moving parts. I would not go with a Detachable mag system - Standard floor plate design.

All that said - my walking varminter is a 257 Roberts that is similar to Remington's lvsf setup. It is in the lvsf stock, 22 inch #4 lilja 3 groove barrel sending a 100 grain Sierra at 3100 fps and it is a pleasure to shoot and carry. I did the epoxy bed thing to the bolt to tighten it up and lapped the lugs. I have an older remington trigger that i tuned up. Quality of function is better than all aftermarkets except a jewell.

To me the word varminter period would not be a sporter weight barrel or anything under 24 inches. I would take a varmint contour barrel cut it to 24 inches and flute it to reduce a little weight and that is about it. It is far easier to carry a little more weight and squeeze a nice shot than wobble all over with a lightweight piece of junk. A quality fiberglass stock that is bedded well is a must because varmints can be hunted in brutal heat and bitter cold. As for caliber it would be tough to beat a 243 win with a twist that would handle 70 - 80 grain bullets. I have never skinned or eaten groundhogs or prairie dogs so I wouldnt worry about fur or meat damage to them and have taken very nice coyote fur with a 243 in these bullet weights. If a customer is serious about cats they could choose the 223 with a 1/12 twist and a 55 gr vmax. Maybe it is just me but I have totally given up on high velocity 22 cals with a 1/14 twist. I have never had a good one but I would like to try a swift with a 1/12. Winchester has been pretty close in my opinion with the "coyote" and " sporter varmint" models.

My idea isn't zactly like anyone else's. All my rifles are tools. But you won't make much making tools.
As we have multiple seasons open at the same time . The 243 is hard to beat. Since we can use fmj bullets it's not a problem destroying fox or lynx hides . And the 80 gr TTSX will work on caribou and wolf. I like the thumbhole laminated stock. More torsional strength for those times we find ourselves under instead of on top of our snowgos or 4,6 wheelers.
If a 223 is picked then it should be a 1 in 7 twist so it will make the 70 gr TSX and the 75 gr Sirrocco behave. 24" barrel on either Cal of a palms contour. Of course the action must be a Ruger stainless and if a 223 it should be set up for ar 15 mags and if the 243 then for ar 10 mags.
For a trigger a Spec Teck stainless adjustable to 2 lbs . The inside of the bolt needs to be treated with something super slippery and permanent so the firring system can be totally degreased for the cold and not gall. As most shooting is done from a seated or standing position the comb hight shoould be high enough, but not as high as a dedicated prone rifle. Foreend should be oval and in the 2-21/2" width and the length sould of the foreend should be a flat plane to help keep it from sliding around as much on a snogo seat or 4 Wheeler handle bar. . The barrel and action should be CerraKoted in a color that looks like a dead tree limb. Tan, light brown, dirty grey color. Stock the same. Like a brown, tan laminate. Grip and fore end should be checkered with a good deep, sharp checkering. Should weigh 8.5 lbs before scope and magazine.

But, that's just my idea. Doesn't need a muzzle brake as mostly all it will do is blow snow around and help give away your position to the pack or heard if you get into one.

Snowy Mountain Rifles would like the input of the members of LRH for an ideal walking varmint rifle. This would be a rifle to take after coyotes, chucks, prairie dogs, etc. Specifically, we would like to know what the majority of the members here would like in this type of set-up. This isn't going to be a vote or poll type discussion, but rather we would like for you to just post your favorite or ideal specs. We do have some general "must haves" that include the SMR 3600 action (produced by Defiance Machine with one piece bolts) and we'll utilize a Benchmark barrel. Please post the following:

1. Caliber/cartridge:
2. Twist rate:
3. Barrel contour (please reference Krieger contours as I don't have Benchmark's contours, so we'll get one that matches) http://www.kriegerbarrels.com/Contours-c1246-wp3382.htm:
4. Barrel length:
5. Specific bullet to be used:
6. Stock of choice:
7. Stock color/camo pattern:
8. Stock options (adj. LOP or cheek, sling studs, etc.)
9. Trigger:

We'll gather input through the end of the year and then we'll build whatever the majority of the members here would like and offer it for sale. If there is enough interest, we'll build several. This idea was actually mine as I have been contemplating this build for myself. Here are my specs:

1. Standard .223 Rem
2. Twist 1:9
3. Krieger contour #6, Heavy Bull Sporter, fluted
4. Length 20"
5. Hornady 55gr. VMAX
6. Manners MCS-T3
7. Molded in Desert Sage
8. Spacer LOP, 2 flush cups left side, 1 bipod stud, lightest fill available
9. Timney

Please chime in with what you would find the ideal walking varmint rifle whether you have any interest in buying one or not. We would really appreciate your input.

Geb

1. 17 or 20 Tactical
2. 1-9 for both
3. Krieger # 3
4. 22-24"
5. 17 - 30 gr Kindler Gold, 20 - 32 gr Vmax
6. Mcmillan Hunters Edge
7. Any desert camo
8. sling studs
9. Timney

I would have to agree with the coyotezapper.

1. 20 Tactical was done by Todd Kindler of the Woodchuck Den.

This is a round that is as flat or flatter than some that have been mentioned.
if you are hide hunter this round is easier on the fur.

2. 1-9

3. taper of a 3 or 4

4. 22-24 inch

5. Bergers, Golds, for the hide

6. Any light weight that fits the hunters needs.

7.Desert camo or hydro dipped in Kings Desert camo

8. Slings studs plus tripod

9. Thimney

Also one used alot for ultra long range 20/6.5X47 Laupa with 55 gr Begers is hard to beat. Will get you there fast.

If I could only have one varmint rifle it would be a 22-250. But if I was going to have you build me a custom walking around rifle I'd do things a little different. I'd start with a 24" sporter weight barrel chambered in 243 Win. I'd want it with a 1 in 8 twist barrel throated for the Berger VLDs from 87-105 grs. with a flush detachable magazine to match. I'd want the longer barrel for velocity and the sporter barrel for light weight. I'd want the gun to come in at under 7 lbs. I'd want a McMillan, or equivalent, sporter style stock with the full length aluminium bedding block with a fixed cheek rest to match the scope height. The color doesn't matter as long as it doesn't rub off. I'd want all the metal covered with something to weatherproof it, something along the line of Cerakote. Flute the bolt, add a tactical bolt knob and add a Sako extractor.

Basically, I guess I'd just like for you to take my Remington 700 SPS, 243 Win. and make a Custom version of it,

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts