Slug gun virgin needs advice.

These **** things are NOT cheap!
This is the only cartridge I don't reload for. Supposedly this hunting regulation mishap will be reversed in January, so this might be the last year I'll need to slug gun hunt for a while. (unless I ever decide to hunt in Illinois where its slug only forever).
Still, I bought several (15) boxes of the Accutips at $16 a box. Thats enough to last for a few years just in case.

There IS one place I hunt on my property in TN that is so miserably dense that a bonded big bore projectile is almost a necessity. It's full of wise old whitetails but so hard to hunt. So I might just bring this thing out for insurance, small bore cup and core bullets just won't cut it out there.

They are fun, I really enjoy shooting slugs. There are some areas in Kali that you can't hunt with a rifle and the slug fills the gap above a bow. One area we hunt, where I shot the pig with the slug in previous pic, my buddies lost a couple with through and through arrow shots. The slug drops them right where you hit them.

These ---- things are NOT cheap!
This is the only cartridge I don't reload for. Supposedly this hunting regulation mishap will be reversed in January, so this might be the last year I'll need to slug gun hunt for a while. (unless I ever decide to hunt in Illinois where its slug only forever).
Still, I bought several (15) boxes of the Accutips at $16 a box. Thats enough to last for a few years just in case.

There IS one place I hunt on my property in TN that is so miserably dense that a bonded big bore projectile is almost a necessity. It's full of wise old whitetails but so hard to hunt. So I might just bring this thing out for insurance, small bore cup and core bullets just won't cut it out there.
If it was my land I would have an elevated stand in the middle of a wagon wheel of shooting lanes !

I have over 26 years experience with fully rifles slug guns. I own a first run Marlin 512, a NEF 920 slug gun and a Browning A-Bolt Slug gun. I have tried 90%+ of all the sabot slugs available. Although I do not own one if I were to go buy a slug gun today no doubt or exception what so ever I would buy only a Savage 220.

This coming from a guy with 26+ years of 12ga slug rifles and 1k+ slugs fired under my belt.
Why the sudden preference for the 20ga when I own 3 12's? Good question. Because about 7-8 years ago I was at my favorite public range sighting in my A-Bolt and my Marlin 512 when two guys set up shop at the bench next to mine. Both were shooting literally brand new Savage 220's. After they got sighted in I watched through my 20 x 60 x 77mm B&L spotting scope as they both pounded out back to back MOA or sub-MOA 100 yard three shot groups using the now long discontinued Federal Barnes Expander ammo also my absolutely personal favorite sabot slug ammo of all time. I don't know how many reading this have much if any experience with shotgun sabot ammo but its mule kick in the scrotum expensive and you're lucky as a lotto winner if your 100 yard groups are under 2".

I was impressed and intrigued. I sparked up a conversation with these two guys and I did't hesitate to compliment them on their rifles accuracy. They offered me a go and I accepted. As both guns had Savage's proprietary Accu-trigger which I am very use to as its on several of my Savage rifles and my 10ML-II muzzeleoader I proceeded to belt out a nice three shot group that measured right at 7/8".

They shot several more groups and not a single one was bigger than 1.5" and yes I measured them as they forgot to bring a tape measure with. Then they moved to 200 yards and biggest group was 2-3/8". So I right then and there decided if i ever were to buy another slug rifle it only would be a Savage 220.
The ONLY reason I haven't is because I've been blessed with private land the last 8 years and bought my boys Marlin 336's in 35 Remington as one is a lefty and the other is RT handed but LFT eye dominant so I bought them ambidextrous rifles and a left handed 220 was the same price as either of the JM stamped 336's I bought and the ammo would be cheaper as I reload.

But if anyone asks my recommendation on a slug rifle I tell them only buy a 220 and then buy a bigger chest freezer.

These **** things are NOT cheap!

I know and feel your pain. I have been shooting saboted slug ammo exclusively for over 26 years and was sure as time went on they would go down in price but if anything they've gone up in price and the usual good end of season sales on sabot ammo have also ceased. I use to get sabot ammo 30% or more off come January but haven't seen those prices at least not wide spread in a long while. Before rifles became legal in my home state I found out much to my utter dismay, Federal was discontinuing their production of the Barnes Tipped Expander ammo, the most accurate sabot ammo I ever shot out of my slug guns that gave rifle like accuracy out of both my bolt slug rifles and gave absolutely devastating on deer performance, I immediately went on line bought 275 rounds at $9 for a box of 5. Everyone of the admittedly few all copper 300 grain tipped Barnes Expanders I recovered from deer all retained over 95% of their weight and looked like textbook perfect mushrooms.
Now you know exactly why when certain center fire rifle calibers became legal I promptly bought them for myself and my two sons. I can reload about 18 rounds of 35 Remington for for the price of 5 12 or 20 gauge sabot rounds. I already had scopes and scope mounting systems available, I had all the primers and powder I would need all I did was buy a Redding FL and seater dies and a Lee Collet die, brass and bullets and I was in business. Best of all my 35 Remington relaods are chronoing at 2350fps and staying under 1-1/4" at 100 and 2.5" at 200.
I will only now use my slug guns if given no other choice.

Those savage 220 are the way to go supposedly from everything I've read and seen on them. Extremely accurate and reliable for a slug gun

I recently picked up a 220 and was surprised how accurate it is. Ugly though. So I picked up a laminate thumbhole stock and now it passes the looks test. I might still duracoat it at some point.

back when I hunted Illinois, I used a 12 ga savage bolt gun. This 220 is a far better shooter. It actually warrants the 2-12x50 scope I have on it.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.