Sierra Gameking and 257 Weatherby

The 117 Sierra either the pro hunter or game king will really come apart at close range with the high velocity of the 257 Wby. My buddy tried it on deer and if deer shot was 200+ yards away where the velocity and fallen off some it did great. I have used the 117 Pro Hunter for about 30 years out of 25-06s running them 3000 to 3100 fps muzzle velocity and they work great for killing deer but will not exit a deer usually unless the deer are 200+ yards away. My buddy found that the 115 and 120 Nosler Partition worked really well out of his 257 Wby even at close range.

I used to shoot the 100 SMK in my .25-06AI @ 3640fps, and they killed deer like turning the lights out. From 80 to 450+.

Try hammer bullets. I have them in my .300 WM and they are accurate as I'm capable of shooting (sub half MOA) and won't blow up being a mono metal bullet. Might be able to get a little more BC in the 25 cals. I don't own a .25 cal so I'm not sure.
I bet the hammer would be the ticket with that round!

I really like Sierra bullets it's all I use in my rifles. I've tried others but always come back to Sierra because they work. Now, most of my shots are under 100 yards with a few exceptions. I have used 117 Game Kings in a 25/06 and shot deer at 35 yards and farther and one exception was 236 paces and none of the deer got away most dropped where they were hit. Will they work at 257 Weatherby velocity? I don't know but I sure as hell would want to try them and if you do give them a try let us know here. I don't think you'll be disappointed if you keep your shots under 600 to 650 yards.

The 120 grand slam is a great projectile in the 257 roy. They hold together great, are accurate, and cheap. Ive been working with the 100 & 115 nosler bt, 100 ttsx, while all are accurate, the speer bullet can be used on **** near any NA animal

The 117sst from hornady worked well on deer out of mine. Put it right behind the shoulder and it turns the insides too red jelly

I agree with Elkeater. Try the Hammer bullets. I have been using them in a 7mm-08 with great success and going to try them in my 257 wby.

The 117 Sierra either the pro hunter or game king will really come apart at close range with the high velocity of the 257 Wby. My buddy tried it on deer and if deer shot was 200+ yards away where the velocity and fallen off some it did great. I have used the 117 Pro Hunter for about 30 years out of 25-06s running them 3000 to 3100 fps muzzle velocity and they work great for killing deer but will not exit a deer usually unless the deer are 200+ yards away. My buddy found that the 115 and 120 Nosler Partition worked really well out of his 257 Wby even at close range.

I can absolutely attest to this. When I bought my 257 Wby in Mark V Accumark the seller included some hand loads with the 117 Sierra Game King. They were incredibly accurate. I took this gun and ammo on a Limited Entry Muley hunt in CO in 2010 hoping for a long range shot. I ended up walking up on a nice 5x5 at 52 yards and had to make a quick off-hand shot. I pulled the shot left and hit it in the neck. The buck went down like it was hit by lightning. It was laying in a 3' diameter puddle of blood by the time I walked the 52 yards to get to it. It was the most blood I have ever seen come from any one animal. Upon further inspection there was no exit wound! The bullet hit the spine and grenaded in it's neck and liquified a large portion of it's neck which caused all of the blood coming out of it's nose and mouth. Dead is dead, but what mess. LOL.

Last edited:
For hunting, it is hard to beat the 100 grain TTSX bullet for this caliber. It will perform up close and out to 500 yards. This is the genre this rifle was made for. If you need to go out further, go to a bigger caliber.

Is it tough enough for 257 Weatherby velocity? Sierra says so, but any real world experience? Currently using 115 Ballistic Tips. Bombs, accurate as hell, but really blow up.

With the 250AI, 257 Rob and 25-06 I have found the 100 gr Sierra Game King excellent on Red and Sika deer. With the 25-06 the GK becomes better when used at 200 yards plus. Anything closer is better suited to the slightly stouter 100gr Pro Hunter. Both bullets are very accurate in all my 25 cal rifles. For more info you may like to read what Nathan Forster has to say here
https://www.ballisticstudies.com/Knowledgebase/.257+Weatherby+Magnum.html
Good luck and shoot straight!

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.