Sierra Gamechanger bullets.

I have been shooting the 165 gamechanger in my new 28 Nosler this year. I used this bullet for break in and the rifle just liked it so I stayed with it. I was planning on shooting the 180 VLD but I figured I might as well give this new bullet a shot. Using retumbo, federal gm215 primers, and nosler brass I have gotten the load down to 1/2 MOA groups. The rifle is a Cooper M52 Excalibur Long Range.

So for the actual field data, these bullets kill. In October I was able to harvest my bull at 383 yards with one shot just behind the shoulder, bull staggered up hill a couple of yards and tipped over. This shot created massive lung damage and I was able to recover the bullet under the hide on the far side. The shot did not create massive meat damage, I was actually surprised by this after seeing the lungs. The bullet did not have separation from the core as others have mentioned.
20181011_101625.jpg
20181011_102043.jpg

Bullet had just over 50% weight retention. Taking off a little bit for the added meat since I didn't clean the bullet.

20181012_070317.jpg

This last Sunday I filled my antelope tag. This shot was at 278 yards. Bullet completely passed through just behind the shoulder. The buck just stood there for a couple of seconds and tipped over. Lungs were jellied with an exit hole about the size of a half dollar. Meat damage was minimal also.
20181104_104945.jpg

Have one tag left for the year to see if I can go 3 for 3 with one shot kills.

Last edited:
I have been shooting the 165 gamechanger in my new 28 Nosler this year. I used this bullet for break in and the rifle just liked it so I stayed with it. I was planning on shooting the 180 VLD but I figured I might as well give this new bullet a shot. Using retumbo, federal gm215 primers, and nosler brass I have gotten the load down to 1/2 MOA groups. The rifle is a Cooper M52 Excalibur Long Range.

So for the actual field data, these bullets kill. In October I was able to harvest my bull at 383 yards with one shot just behind the shoulder, bull staggered up hill a couple of yards and tipped over. This shot created massive lung damage and I was able to recover the bullet under the hide on the far side. The shot did not create massive meat damage, I was actually surprised by this after seeing the lungs. The bullet did not have separation from the core as others have mentioned.View attachment 109839View attachment 109844

Bullet had just over 50% weight retention. Taking off a little bit for the added meat since I didn't clean the bullet.

Have one tag left for the year to see if I can go 3 for 3 with one shot kills.

What muzzle velocity were you shooting them at? Looks good!

Got my Mule deer this last weekend with the 6.5 130 Game Changer. Close shot (150m) right where it counts. Deer was quartering away slightly and I put it behind the shoulder crease. quarter size entry in the ribs, obliterated the lungs and back of the heart, silver dollar size exit hole in the body cavity, then it hit the elbow at the joint. **** near blew off the offside shoulder. Lost about 70% of the meat on that shoulder. Looked like someone strapped C4 to it. I believe this was just a fluke as it hit the joint square. The initial cavity entry and exit was totally acceptable. Internal damage was amazing. Ill try it again next year. The one thing I noticed, and my daughter did also, was the sound of the impact. Like slapping a London broil on a plank. Wicked loud. He spun on his hinds and dropped in his tracks, dead.

I never heard the whap impact sound when my 6.5 mm 130 grainer hit the target since I was wearing muffs.
You can often hear the impact if you are wearing something like Soundgear or Etymotic ear plugs for shooting. Cause they just shut out the loud boom of the rifle for a split second. You often then can hear the impact. I can often hear the whizzing sound of the bullet on the way to the target.

257Tony
I'm running them at 3120 fps.

I didn't even really think about it when I shot the antelope but the sound of the bullet smacking that goat was exactly how sean30ber describes it. The wind was blowing to hard when I shot my elk to hear that impact.

Sierra, makes Great bullets always have, I was slow to try their New tipped match kings ,wow they shot great and grouped great to ,So I expect nothing less then greatness with their New GameChanger bullets when I get to them , some fantastic post from Real shooters I appreciate that , thks !!!

Great info guys, it is appreciated and thanks Vortex for asking the question.
The next time you hear someone say your bullets are expensive you may want to think of this. Midway have the 6.5mm 130gr Game Changers for $32.49 per 100 which equates to NZ $47.90. Now I know these bullets have to travel from Sierra Bullets to NZ but they are sent on a boat. For me to buy that same box of bullets I have to pay NZ$112.44. From what I have read so far I think they will be worth a Buck 12 and a half each.

Great info guys, it is appreciated and thanks Vortex for asking the question.
The next time you hear someone say your bullets are expensive you may want to think of this. Midway have the 6.5mm 130gr Game Changers for $32.49 per 100 which equates to NZ $47.90. Now I know these bullets have to travel from Sierra Bullets to NZ but they are sent on a boat. For me to buy that same box of bullets I have to pay NZ$112.44. From what I have read so far I think they will be worth a Buck 12 and a half each.

Bruno Shooters Supply has them for $27.65 per box of 100 cheapest I've found. Approx shipping by USPS [I assume a small flat rate box] was around $12. So about $33.50 per box delivered. At my local Sportsman's Warehouse they were $39.95 plus 7% sales tax. The same 2 boxes would have been about $18 more at SW.

http://www.brunoshooters.com/category/sierra_65cal.html

You can often hear the impact if you are wearing something like Soundgear or Etymotic ear plugs for shooting. Cause they just shut out the loud boom of the rifle for a split second. You often then can hear the impact. I can often hear the whizzing sound of the bullet on the way to the target.

I've heard it any number of times when using Hornady 129 6.5 mm Interlocks. Now with hearing aids and crappy hearing, I have to protect what little hearing I have left. In wide open spaces the muzzle blast doesn't seem to sound as loud.
Some years back I was deer hunting in Wyoming and a hunter maybe a mile away started shooting. Musta been a moving deer cuz it was bang bang bang bang bang; then he stopped to reload and 3 more bangs. You could hear the bullet hit on the 8th shot.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.