Should you talk with the Police?

Marplot

A 77-year-old woman confronted 3 person home invaders. She shot and killed one of the perps. She then held one of the three at gunpoint 'til the police arrived. She refused to make a statement to the police.

The police only had, "Person A (Homeowner) shot an killed another person B." The police, understandably, arrested the killer, Person A, homeowner. Without bail. Until the story unraveled that the dead person was part of a home invader.

https://www.gunsamerica.com/digest/77-year-old-homeowner-arrested-after-shooting-burglary-suspect/

What are we supposed to do in a situation like this? We would, probably, full of Adrenalin and might say stupid statements.

Waidmannsheil!

It's going to be skewed since the shooting happened in Oakland California. Generally you let your lawyer do the talking to the police.
California is definitely weird on things like this . They are anti gun but have some decent laws in regards to being able to protect yourself and your property. The police may not view it that way but the district attorney will. Trust me I know first hand . I was born there and lived there till about 20 hrs ago. Was charged with brandishing a wepon by my local police . Had my guns taken and made the trip to the station . Only to have the charges dropped and my guns returned 3 months later .

Never ever talk to the police! They are not your friend and are only looking for any reason to arrest you.
Thanks for painting “us” as adversaries. I think you (and anyone else who feels this way) are failing to recognize the different rolls and responsibilities within the legal system.
The police role is to enforce the law, investigate crimes and gather evidence. Our loyalty is to the Law and public safety and that cannot be influenced by the individual interests of those we interact with during investigations. If you want/need a “friend/advocate” in situations such as that listed here then ABSOLUTELY invoke your right to remain silent and obtain a competent lawyer to help guide you through interactions with the police and navigate you through our ridiculous legal system.

in today's environment never talk to the police. not that they are all bad, few bad apples have hurt the profession. you don't know which ones are good and took their oath to the law and constitution serious or if they are political hacks themselves or just doing the bidding of a politically motivated superior. remember you lie to them and you loose, they lie to you they get a that-a-boy from the bossman.

only response should be Lawyer.

Thanks for painting “us” as adversaries. I think you (and anyone else who feels this way) are failing to recognize the different rolls and responsibilities within the legal system.
The police role is to enforce the law, investigate crimes and gather evidence. Our loyalty is to the Law and public safety and that cannot be influenced by the individual interests of those we interact with during investigations. If you want/need a “friend/advocate” in situations such as that listed here then ABSOLUTELY invoke your right to remain silent and obtain a competent lawyer to help guide you through interactions with the police and navigate you through our ridiculous legal system.
Brother, you know I have the utmost respect to LEOs. I am glad that there are good people like you that are willing and able to do what you do everyday - risking your life serving your community. I pray that you and your brothers and sisters at arms make it home safely to the loving arms of your families. God bless!

Not trying to paint you guys as adversaries in my case . I had a rookie officer that simply didn't understand the law . Being it was a condo and where my wife's car was parked he understood it to be community property and it is but the car is personal property and in California you can protect yourself and property I was justified. The same officer arrested the drug dealer below me about a week after I got my guns back . Then we moved outa California. The neighbor was a 3 strike candidate at that point .

Not trying to paint you guys as adversaries in my case .
No, I know you weren’t….and my quote/post wasn’t directed towards you. I can’t speak intelligently about California laws, but I CAN tell you that NOTHING would’ve happened to you in “my” jurisdiction simply for brandishing a weapon in the defense of yourself, your family or your property.