Short Range Scope

kfrye

Guys,

I know this goes against the grain here, but I am looking for suggestions for a quality scope for hunting in close quarters. I need something that transmits a lot of light during early morning and late afternoon. I looked at the leupold vx ii and iii in the low power 2-7 and such, but I am not sure that the objective lens is large enough on them to do what I need.

I use a Leupold VXII in 1x4 for closeup hunting. Although the objective is miniscule compared to what we are used to (20mm), its very bright. I believe that the lower the power scope, the smaller objective you can get away with (I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong).

Anyway, I like it because I can put it on 1x and shoot with both eyes open when I'm in REALLY thick stuff. And I can put it on 4x when I'm sitting in a little more open area.

I use the scope on my Muzzleloader, but it would work just as well on any rifle.

Its really light and really short.

HTH

AJ

Divide the objective lens diameter by the power of the scope and that will give you the exit pupil.
The human eye can only use so much light; a 5 to 7mm exit pupil is the max that can be used trasmitted through the pupil.
So a 20mm objective divided by a 4 power magnification gives and exit pupil of 5mm. A bright scope picture. On the other hand a 4.5X14 40mm is 40 divided by 4.5 on the low end for an exit pupil of 8.9mm and 40 divided by 14 on the high end is 2.8mm. That is why you have to be a lot more centered in the scope on the high end.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts