Shooting from sticks

^^^another vote for practicing A LOT with a full size clone of your hunting rifle in 223. I got one for my daughter to get her used to full size frame and I can't tell you how much it has changed MY game by using it as well. if you do nothing else to it than match the trigger and stock you will LLPhave a ton more confidence in the field. As far as sticks go, for me it was much more about learning to get my body comfortable and naturally at rest in various positions and bore heights. Make sure your sticks are robust enough to lean into with pretty good force without the adjustment changing. My go to position on sticks ended up being with my pack stood on end under my arm pit like leaning over the arm of a couch. I've found that positions like the one you show require more neck and abdominal strength than I am blessed with. Bottom line is the secret to confidence on sticks for me was trial and error on what i could do comfortably and consistently.

Recently there was an article in a spring bear hunt, One picture caught my eye..
View attachment 121846

Does anyone have any good resources for learning shooting positions like this or specifically how to shoot more study from sticks? I saw this guy has classes but $2k is a little steep for me. Any help would be appreciated.
Killed the bull in my avatar at 639 yards last fall using a very similar position. Primos Stead stix out front and my hunting pack in my arm pit for the rear support. Have used these positions in the steep mountains of the west many times to take game out to 639 yards. I practice this and other mountain shooting positions in the off season. I love to get out and hunt rocks in the summer.
Here's a couple picks from that hunt. A shot of me sitting on the steep hillside after the bull was down. Had to set my rifle straight uphill to prevent it from falling over. Entrance and exit 4 inches apart. Exit hole is from the first shot, the bull spun and ran 50 feet then stopped. Second shot entrance 4 inches to the left of the first shot.

Attachments

• IMG_20181027_162229.jpg
    IMG_20181027_162229.jpg
    213.2 KB · Views: 253
  • IMG_20181027_174543.jpg
    IMG_20181027_174543.jpg
    150.4 KB · Views: 272
I try to use sticks whenever I can as it improves my shooting. The type of shooting support you use will depend on the terrain and style of hunting. My absolute favorite is my backpack but that can only be used in certain circumstances. I use a mono-stick for still hunting Mule deer in the mountains where I live as you have no time to deploy anything more complicated (sometimes even a mono-stick is too slow). Hunting antelope at long distance you can easily use a bipod and even support the stock with your backpack. The one additional thing to consider, when shooting at distance, is that recoil effects are different depending on the support you use - it will effect shot placement. Seems best that you practice using the most practical shooting support for the terrain and style of hunting you do most often. When you get good at that then expand your repertoire.

Recently there was an article in a spring bear hunt, One picture caught my eye..
View attachment 121846

Does anyone have any good resources for learning shooting positions like this or specifically how to shoot more study from sticks? I saw this guy has classes but $2k is a little steep for me. Any help would be appreciated.
I always have clients shoot from sticks, especially when they are not used to the terrain or they are in unfamiliar shooting positions. My go to is the Primos tri pod stick, no need to look where you place the legs as they self level when the trigger on the sticks is depressed. You can swivel the head and depress the trigger handle to raise the rest to your desired height all while the rifle is on the the tripod and while you are looking through the scope. Steady as a dead rest! Like it has been stated, get some sticks and teach yourself you will become proficient in no time at all

It takes a lot of field practice in all practical shooting positions.

Two things I've found can make a huge difference which is using some sort of rear support when shooting from sticks and improving the bond between the sticks and the gun.

One guy I knew used a piece of para-cord attached to the trigger well and sticks so he could "load the sticks by pushing against them.

I've also seen and used a pair of bipod sticks for rear support and a tripod set for the front tying them together with para-cord. It made a big difference.

Unfortunately it's a very personal thing what will/won't work best for each user and of course the situation will play a big part. What works well for fairly level shooting won't necessarily work as well for high or low angle shooting.

You don't necessarily have to do a lot of actual shooting to practice, just get set up and get as steady as you can and dry fire practice will help a whole lot. Even without firing a live round with a little experience you know when the trigger breaks whether you've made a good shot or not.
I agree ! Most shots that I need a rest for are the longer shots, I always make use of a rest if there is one around such as a tree or a log but If I am shooting distance I have to have a rear support to really steady that sucker down ! Makes a big difference ! If you have the time !

Some good points made! Having made some shots from awkward positions and in a hurry, I would suggest that we all remember to double-check our anti-cant bubbles. The angles we deal with and the positions we use, primarily in mountainous terrain, to get solid, can and will skew the reticle. I have learned to check that level as a last step. Often, I have to make some sort of adjustment. Even if I'm not gonna shoot, I go thru all the steps each time.

A set of lite sticks and a pack always gives us a better chance to make the hard shots, if we are familiar with how to use them.

.....I saw this guy has classes but $2k is a little steep for me. Any help would be appreciated......

Good class, worth the trip for just the camp out.

Main points are setting up solid in difficult terrain using what you have. Emphasis on rear support, and building that support with rocks, packs, trees. There are 2 or three articles on Non typical outfitters classes and hunts.

I agree ! Most shots that I need a rest for are the longer shots, I always make use of a rest if there is one around such as a tree or a log but If I am shooting distance I have to have a rear support to really steady that sucker down ! Makes a big difference ! If you have the time !
The most valuable thing I can find when shooting from sticks is just a tree or post to rest my shoulder and/or back against. That removes a whole lot of the circular movement error.

The nice thing about the rear rest if you get it solid is that it pretty well eliminates vertical movement errors.

If you can get control of one of the two major errors, lateral and vertical life gets a lot simpler but having a solid shoulder/back rest greatly reduces both when shooting from any sort of front rest, particularly one as tall as sticks.

The most valuable thing I can find when shooting from sticks is just a tree or post to rest my shoulder and/or back against. That removes a whole lot of the circular movement error.

The nice thing about the rear rest if you get it solid is that it pretty well eliminates vertical movement errors.

If you can get control of one of the two major errors, lateral and vertical life gets a lot simpler but having a solid shoulder/back rest greatly reduces both when shooting from any sort of front rest, particularly one as tall as sticks.

If I'm reading your post correctly "The most valuable thing I can find when shooting from sticks is just a tree or post to rest my shoulder and/or back against".

I don' t think I would want to put my back against anything (other than a feather pillow) with a heavy recoiling rifle! Maybe with a light recoiling rifle..... I assure you, I won't try that with my rifle! memtb

View attachment 121846

I saw a home made shooting stick on Varmint Als site called a Bi-Fur-Pod several years ago and have made several of them since. I use it sitting, standing, or as a walking stick. When I head out hunting it is always with me.

go to goodwill store buy old camera tripod , cut pvc of appropriate size screw to top pad or tape to your liking and let the good times roll.

I always have clients shoot from sticks, especially when they are not used to the terrain or they are in unfamiliar shooting positions. My go to is the Primos tri pod stick, no need to look where you place the legs as they self level when the trigger on the sticks is depressed. You can swivel the head and depress the trigger handle to raise the rest to your desired height all while the rifle is on the the tripod and while you are looking through the scope. Steady as a dead rest! Like it has been stated, get some sticks and teach yourself you will become proficient in no time at all
My buddy built these. Two Primos tri pod trigger sticks. Heavy but works great. You can Google to find the stainless fittings.

Attachments

• IMG-20171014-WA0000.jpg
    IMG-20171014-WA0000.jpg
    301.2 KB · Views: 236
Go coyote calling. That will help you shoot from uncomfortable positions off sticks.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts