Shell position in BDL????

nwmnbowhunter

So growing up I was always told to load the round into magazine and slide it all the way back.

Discussing with another buddy, he was taught to put equal space in rear and front of a round.

I tried a couple my buddies way and they did seem to feed easier....

What's everyone's thoughts?

So growing up I was always told to load the round into magazine and slide it all the way back.

Discussing with another buddy, he was taught to put equal space in rear and front of a round.

What happens to the positioning in the magazine under recoil?

+1

Unless you are shooting an extremely low recoil cartridge, they will migrate to the front of the mag box.

Also, I typically load my cartridges to mag length - 0.010", so there really isn't a forward, middle or back option.

If what you tried works better with what you were taught, go for it.

Also, I typically load my cartridges to mag length - 0.010", so there really isn't a forward, middle or back option.

In general, yes.

However, with the trend of using short or medium length cartridges in long action magazines to enable the use of the longer for caliber VLD bullets, this won't stand up very well.

I find some of my cartridge lengths will vary due to the sweet spot for the OAL and accuracy.

In general, yes.

However, with the trend of using short or medium length cartridges in long action magazines to enable the use of the longer for caliber VLD bullets, this won't stand up very well.

I find some of my cartridge lengths will vary due to the sweet spot for the OAL and accuracy.
This is main issue.... short and fat rounds with ample magazine room.

I grew up on model 70s in 270.

These would feed even if you jammed mud in the action... haha