Setting back a CF barrel

Shane Lindsey

Anyone ever have a carbon fiber barrel set back to give it a few more rounds?
I have a 300 RUM with a Remage set up and it has starting throwing shots. Curious if this is possible or time for a new one?

Only about 700 rounds on it, but has been fed N570 for the majority of its life.

My proof cf 65284 been set back 3x plus 4" cut off the front to 22" total lenght...shoots really good....800+ rounds through it...
Did you cap the barrel end or just go with it as is? I cut a Christensen CF barrel down and just re-crowned it. It is a low volume shooter so haven't seen any adverse effects yet...

Threaded and an aluminum cap....way different carry rifle....shot this group at 400yds.. 20231008_092929.jpg

Following. Ordered a C6 barrel for a Savage with an extra inch on the shank end just for this purpose.
That is brilliant forsight. I wish I would have thought about that, but never thought I would burn up a barrel.

What cartrige?

Last edited:
Depending on the barrel maker, they should be able to provide you with a print showing the contour of the actual barrel steel under the CF. Some get skinny/thin really quick while others have more gradual taper from the chamber area to the straight part of the barrel. You should be able to set it back safely a couple times easily.

Did you shoot the barrel 800+ rounds each time, before your set it back/rechambered it?

Or does the barrel have a total of 800+ rounds on it?

Thanks
Has about 800 plus thru it...
First stack was about 500 rods thru it..
After setback there was an odd wrinkle on the fired brass...next setback was with the barrel cutdown....
Since the third setback..maybecanother 100 rods thru it.....
This is with a trued 700 action..

Recent Posts